Kachumber Salad - Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad Recipe
Kachumber Salad - Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad Recipe. Kachumbar is a simple chopped salad with chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and a salt, pepper/cayenne, lemon dressing. Serve as a side with Indian curries, or as a dip with chips, or over burgers. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Oil-free Recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped small
- 1 large cucumber chopped small
- 4-5 red radishes chopped small (optional)
- 1 green chili finely chopped (remove seeds to reduce heat if needed)
- 1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp or more salt
- 1/4 tsp or more freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne pure red chili powder
- 1 tsp or more freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
Chop the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, wash and drain well. * Add to a bowl.
Add the veggies and the rest of the ingredients to a bowl. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Serve.
* To reduce the strong sharp onion flavor, soak the chopped onion in water for 15 minutes. Drain and then use.
Add 2 tbsp of chopped mint.
Add a generous pinch of kala namak (Indian Sulfur black salt) or 1/4 tsp or more chaat masala to taste.
Add vinegar to taste instead of lemon juice.
Add 1/2 tsp roasted ground cumin or coriander powder.
Add 1/2 cup or more non dairy yogurt and 1/2 tsp ground cumin and mix in to make raita kind of yogurt dip.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 190mg | Potassium: 297mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 15.4mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.4mg