Vegan Almond Poppy Seed Cake. Gluten free Cake
Vegan Almond Poppy Seed Cake. Gluten free Cake. Spongy Moist Cake with no Gum. Use as GF Sponge Cake without poppy seeds. Vegan Gluten-free Grain-free Oil-free Recipe Makes 1 6 inch pan
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk or 2 tbsp non dairy milk + 2 tbsp non dairy yogurt
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp sugar raw or other
- 1 tsp vinegar white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- 1 cup almond flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1/4 cup starch I use 3 tbsp potato starch + 1 Tbsp tapioca/corn
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 to 3 tsp poppy seeds
Prepare a 6 inch cake pan by greasing or lining with parchment.
In a bowl, mix the flax in the non dairy milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F / 170ºc.
Add the maple, sugar, vanilla, vinegar. Add 1/4 tsp almond extract for stronger almond flavor or add lemon zest for lemon poppy seed cake. Mix well until sugar is mixed in.
In another bowl, mix the almond flour, starches, salt, baking powder and soda, poppy seeds. Break the almond flour lumps if there are any, with your hand or a spatula..
Add to the wet and mix well until smooth.* Transfer the batter to a greased 6 inch pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F / 170ºc for 30 minutes or until a toothpick from the center comes out clean.
Cool for 15 mins, then remove from the pan. Cool completely before slicing. Preferably refrigerate for 15 to 20 mins and then slice. Use an icing of choice. A simple lemon sugar icing works really well.
To bake into cupcakes: transfer the batter to lined muffin pan. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with frosting of choice.
For additional moisture in the cake, add 2-3 tsp oil in the wet.
* The batter should be like a thick cake batter, flowy but not runny. If the batter is too dry (stiffer than muffin mix), you can add some liquid. Make a flax egg with water or non dairy milk and fold in. Direct liquid addition will not incorporate well. If the batter is a bit runny, you can add a bit of almond flour, or just bake longer.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 16g | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 1.6mg