Vegan Indian Chai Tea. Masala Chai. Gluten-free Recipe
Vegan Indian Masala Chai. Fabulous almond milk tea with homemade chai spice blend (cardamom, cinnamon, pepper) and fresh ginger. Vegan Chai tea recipe
- 3/4 cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp raw sugar or other sweetener to taste
- 2 tsp chai patti/loose tea
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chai spice/chai masala blend (see notes for large batch), or use 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, a good pinch of ground clove,, black pepper, ground ginger
- 1/2 to 1 tsp minced/grated fresh ginger ,some fresh gingers are too strong, so use to taste
- 1.25 cup Almond breeze plain almond milk or oatmilk or soymilk other non dairy milk.
In a small deep pan at medium heat, add water, sugar, tea leaves, chai masala blend and ginger. Bring to a bubbling boil. 7 to 9 mins
Slowly pour the almond milk. Bring the mix to just about a boil. 6 to 8 minutes.
Strain into a cup and serve hot. Compost the tea leaves.
Note: some plant milks tend to separate when added to the hot water. Add a Tbsp cold/room temperature water to the boiling water to bring the temperature down. Then pour in the plant milk.
Large batch Chai Spice/Masala blend:
Grind 3/4 cup green cardamom pods, 1/4 cup cinnamon sticks or 2 Tablespoons cinnamon powder, 1/4 cup cloves, 2 Tablespoons whole black pepper, 2 to 3 Tablespoons ground ginger. 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds(optional). Store in airtight container.
Change the quantities around to preference. Add more ginger for a winter chai masala. Add a tsp of nutmeg and all spice for variations.
Use the spice blend in ice creams, doughnuts, caramel, bread, granola and more.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 53kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 60mg | Sugar: 9g | Calcium: 150mg