African Peanut Lentil Soup
African Inspired Peanut Lentil Soup. African Peanut Stew with lentils and veggies. Harissa Spice, Nut butter, Sweet potato, veggies and lentils. Serves 3 to 4 or more.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 juicy tomatoes
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek or asian chili sauce or other hot chile sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 to 1.5 tsp Harissa Spice Blend
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 cups veggies chopped small or thin slices - zucchini, sweet potato or potato, carrots, eggplant, broccoflower etc
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 3/4 tsp to 1 salt
- 1 tsp or more lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach or other baby greens.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. 5 minutes
Meanwhile, blend the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, tomato paste, spices until pureed. Add to the saucepan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
Add peanut butter, half of the nuts, lentils, veggies, stock, salt and lemon juice. Mix, cover and cook.
Stir at 15 minutes.Taste and adjust salt, heat and check if the veggies are al-dente. Add in the baby spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the veggies and lentils are cooked through. Add more water if needed.
Garnish with rest of the peanuts, cilantro, more lemon juice. Serve with flatbread, crackers or as is.
Pressure Cook: Follow steps 1 and 2 in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add peanut butter, lentils, half of the peanuts, veggies, stock, salt and lemon juice, mix, close the lid and bring to high pressure. Cook for 5 minutes * (Manual setting for 5 minutes for IP). Let the pressure release naturally. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Fold in the spinach and let it sit for 2 minutes in the hot stew before serving.
* Depending on your pressure cooker, lentils and your preference of consistency, you might need to cook for less or more time.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 1087mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7420IU | Vitamin C: 33.2mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 5.8mg