Potato Quinoa Patties with Chickpea curry. Tikki Chole. Vegan Recipe
These potato quinoa patties have simple ingredients and spices & go very well with a sweet and spicy chickpea curry. Tikki Chole. Vegan, Soy-free easily gluten-free Recipe
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Potato Quinoa Patties/Tikki: Makes 11-12 patties
- 3 medium potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 cups cooked Quinoa
- 1/3 medium onion red or white finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon carom seeds Ajwain, or use cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak black salt
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 slice of stale bread crumbled (omit to make gluten-free or use coarsely ground Oats)
- Top with Tamarind Date Chutney or BBQ sauce
- Top with chopped cucumber
- Use spice blends like garam masala, berbere, cajun spice in the patties
In a large bowl, mash the potatoes well.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well.
Shape into patties and pan fry them with a little oil on medium heat until both sides are golden and crisp.
Patties can be served as is with sauce of choice like ketchup, Sriracha or BBQ.
To serve Tikki chole, ladle some chickpea curry below or on top of the patties.
Top them with chopped onion and cilantro.
For variation, top with Tamarind date chutney or a little Barbecue sauce.
The patties can also be baked at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. I like them crisped up on the pan much better and they need just a few teaspoons of oil on a good pan.
You can also use wheat flour or chickpea flour instead of bread to help balance the moisture in the patty mixture. Mash and mix the ingredients well and make tight patties so they dont break while flipping.
You can use Sweet Potatoes instead of potatoes. The patties will need bread crumbs to balance the extra moisture and will need to be baked, if using sweet potatoes.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 604mg | Potassium: 811mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 21.1mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 6.4mg