Marbled Turmeric Pumpkin Chocolate Bread
Easy Marbled Golden Pumpkin Chocolate Bread. Layers of Pumpkin Spice + Turmeric + Pumpkin puree, and Chocolate Cake. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Makes one 8.5 by 4.5 inch or 9 by 5 loaf pan
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk i use almond milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp lime juice or lemon
- 1/2 cup raw or other sugar add 2 tbsp more for sweeter esp if using whole grain flours
- 2 cups flour I use 1.5 cups unbleached all purpose + 1/2 cup whole wheat or 1.5 cups white + 1/4 cup whole wheat +1/4 cup almond flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 tsp my pumpkin pie spice or use 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger and a generous dash of ground clove, all spice, nutmeg
Pumpkin turmeric layer:
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp water
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
In a bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix until the sugar is well combined.
In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add to the wet and mix until combined. The batter should be thick a bit like muffin batter. Add more flour if too thin.
Divide the batter into equal parts in the 2 bowls.
To one bowl, add turmeric mixed in 1 tsp water and mix in. At this point, you can also fold in some chopped nuts. Skip this step is making no turmeric marble cake.
To the other bowl, add the cocoa powder, vanilla and water and mix in. At this point, you can also fold in chocolate chips.
Layer the batters in a loaf pan and even out with a spatula. I put half of one batter and spread it with a spatula, then half of the other batter and so on.
Sprinkle chocolate chips or nuts on top(optional), or add frosting later.
Bake at 365 deg F / 180ºc for 55 to 60 mins or until a toothpick from the center comes out almost clean. (Depending on the puree, pan and oven, you might have to bake longer). Cool completely before slicing. Store on the counter for the day, refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Use other squash purees like butternut or sweet potato puree for variation.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 5960IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 2.6mg