Basundi - thickened milk with saffron and nuts. Basundi or Rabri with almond milk. Indian Vegan Sweets for Diwali.
- 3 tbsp soaked cashews soaked for atleast 15 mins in warm water
- 1 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp non dairy milk I use almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons raw Sugar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands 8 to 10 strands
- a generous pinch of cardamom powder
- a good pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast adds a thickened milk flavor
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
Blend cashews, 1.5 cups almond milk, sugar, saffron, cardamom, nutritional yeast and salt in a blender, until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until it just about starts to bubble, 3 to 4 minutes
Meanwhile, mix cornstarch in 2 tbsp milk. Mix well and add to the hot milk. Whisk and continue to cook till is thickened to desired consistency.
Take off heat. Cool and chill in the refrigerator. Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers or toasted nuts and serve.
To make Rabri: Chill the mixture uncovered in the refrigerator. A cream layer will form on it. Mix that in a couple of times in the hours of chilling.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Calcium: 231mg | Iron: 1.8mg