Vegan Scalloped Potatoes and Cauliflower with Jamaican Curry Spices
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes and Cauliflower with Jamaican Curry Spices. Curried Scalloped Potatoes. Creamy flavorful Vegan Potato Gratin. Easily made gluten-free and nut-free. Makes 1 10 inch skillet or 9 by 9 inch or similar size baking dish. Easily doubled.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 3.5 tbsp flour Use rice flour to make it gluten-free, or use 1/4 cup cashews blended into the non dairy milk below
- 1 Tbsp Jamaican Curry Powder: Recipe below
- 2 cups unsweetened non dairy milk such as almond milk. Use coconut soy for nut-free, cashew milk for richer sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- half a small head of cauliflower sliced into not more than 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 medium yukon or russet potatoes thinly sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
Breadcrumb topping: Optional
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp or more smoked paprika
Jamaican Curry Powder:
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp or more allspice
- a good dash of cinnamon ground nutmeg or clove, ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp lime zest or add 1/2 tsp lime juice after roasting the spices and flour, mix in at Step 2.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
Add flour and spice blend, lime zest and cook for a minute. If using lime juice, cook the spices and flour until roasted then add the lime juice and mix in for a few seconds.
Add non dairy milk and mix well. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens. Taste carefully and adjust salt and spice and mix in. You can also fold in some nutritional yeast for cheesier flavor.
Take off heat. Spread half of the sauce in a baking dish. Or reserve from the cast iron skillet.
Layer the Cauliflower slices in a non overlapping layer. Or use more potatoes.
Add a layer of potatoes. Spread the reserved sauce all over. Pour a 1/4 cup water on the edges.
Cover with foil and bake at 400 deg F / 200ºc for 20 minutes.
Make the breadcrumb mixture by mixing everything in a bowl. Uncover the baking dish, sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top. Alternatively, Sprinkle some paprika, salt, minced garlic and vegan parmesan.
Bake another 15 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Use a knife to insert through all layers to check. Bake time depends on the thickness of the potatoes. Sprinkle frersh herbs of choice. Cool for 5 minutes then serve.
For a super quick Jamaican Curry Blend, mix 1.5 tsp curry powder of choice and generous dashes of thyme, parsley, allspice, nutmeg and 1/4 tsp lime zest.
To make this oil-free: Dry toast the flour and dry spices on a dry skillet for 2-3 mins, and keep them ready. Water saute the onion, garlic, then add the toasted spices + flour and lime zest. Cook for a minute, add non dairy milk and continue.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Serving: 1g | Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 735mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 15.1mg | Calcium: 201mg | Iron: 2.5mg