Turmeric Miso Soup With Ginger, Garlic and Tofu
Turmeric Miso Soup With Ginger, Garlic and Tofu. Kick that cold with this soothing, anti inflammatory, brothy soup. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 tsp oil
- 7 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 to 1.5 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced
- 1/2 hot green chile optional
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded carrots
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 7 oz 1/2 a block of tofu, cubed small
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2.5 cups water or more, to preference
- 1/2 tsp or more turmeric
- 1 tsp apple cider or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp or more sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt less or more to taste, depends on your miso
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 1 tbsp or more white mellow miso
- scallions for garnish
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chile and cook until translucent. 4 mins.
Add the carrots and peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
Add tofu and mix in. At this point you can also add in chopped veggies(chopped small) such broccoli.
Add water, 1/3 tsp black pepper and rest of the ingredients except miso and bring to a boil.
Simmer for 4 minutes. Then add the miso and mix in. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and tang(vinegar). Simmer for another few minutes.
Garnish with scallions and black pepper.
If you like a thicker soup, mix 1 tsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup cool water and mix into the simmering soup.
To make soy-free: use more veggies and/or chickpeas, or mushrooms. Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce, and chickpea miso instead of white miso.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 725mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 6305IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg