Vegan Banana Bread with Coconut and toasted Walnuts 1 Bowl
Vegan Banana Bread with Walnuts. Classic Super moist Banana bread with toasted nuts and coconut. No Palm oil. Vegan Recipe. Perfect Breakfast or Snack.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
- 1¾ cup flour I use 1 cup spelt/white whole wheat + ¾ cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp ground spices or spice blend of choice I use 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cardamom,1/4 tsp tsp nutmeg, a big pinch of ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- A few tablespoons of toasted walnuts or pecans plus more for garnish
- A few tablespoons vegan chocolate chunks dried fruit like currants, chopped dates or other additions
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 large ripe bananas or 3 medium 1 cup if well mashed, heaping 1 cup if sliced
- 3 to 4 tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar depends on the sweetness of the bananas
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted or other oil or use smooth nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F / 180ºc. Line a 8.5 by 4.5 or 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with parchment.
Toast the nuts if you havent already on a dry skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 mins. Stir occasionally. Mix in the coconut in the last 30 seconds to toast slightly and set aside. This step is optional.
In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients flour through salt, including salt really well. Add the nuts and other additions if using and mix in.
In a blender, add all the wet ingredients maple through vanilla extract and blend until smooth. (You can also mash the banana in a bowl until smooth then mix in the rest if the wet ingredients).
Add to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined into a somewhat muffin like batter.
Transfer batter to parchment lined loaf pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts or chocolate on top (optional).
Bake for 40 minutes at 365 degrees F / 180ºc.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees F / 170ºc. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until toothpick from the center comes out almost clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove from the pan. Cool completely before slicing. Store on the counter for the day, refrigerated for upto 5 days, frozen tightly wrapped for upto a month.
Adapted from my 1 Bowl Banana Apple Bread.
To make this Oil-free: Use nut butter instead of oil.
To make muffins: Pour batter into lined muffin pan. Top with chocolate or nuts. Bake at 365 degrees F for 27 to 30 minutes or until toothpick from the enter comes out clean.
Nutritional values based on one serving
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 45IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 3.9mg