Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup - Stovetop Option
Instant Pot Vegan Enchilada Soup with Quinoa, walnuts, mushrooms. Pressure Cooker Bean-free Vegan Quinoa Chili with Homemade Enchilada seasoning. Saucepan Option. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe. Soyfree Nutfree Oilfree option.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp oil , Or use 3 tbsp broth to saute
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 6 oz mushrooms , a combination or white, cremini or other)
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp or more enchilada seasoning (see below)
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 2 oz soy curls (optional)
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1 cup tomato sauce or puree
- 1.5 cups veggie broth or vegan chikin flavored broth or water
- 3/4 tsp salt (slightly less if the broth is salted)
- 1/2 tsp each of chipotle pepper powder , ancho chili powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder.
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika or a mix of sweet & smoked, as all smoked can be hot
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dashes of black pepper cayenne, thyme (optional)
Start the instant pot on sauté. Add oil/broth. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, pulse the walnuts in a processor until they form a coarse mixture. Add mushrooms and pulse again until the mushrooms are chopped.
Add the mushroom and walnut mixture to the pot and mix in for a min. Add the jalapeño and peppers and cook for 2 mins.
Add the spices, quinoa (or quinoa + soy curls)**, corn, salt, tomato sauce, broth and mix well.
Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally. Taste and adjust the salt, heat or flavor and mix in.
Garnish with vegan sour cream, lemon juice, cilantro, jalapeño or pickled jalapeño, and/or hot sauce. Serve with pumpkin cornbread.
Saucepan: Follow steps 1,2 in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the mushroom mixture for 3-4 mins before adding peppers. Follow step 3, Add 1/2 cup more broth and partially cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor, liquid content and check the quinoa for doneness. Uncover and simmer over low for 10 to 15 mins.
Variation: You can also use 2 fresh chipotle peppers instead of dried powder and flakes inthe seasoning, and blend the peppers into the broth.
Or you can use 1 cup of premade red enchilada sauce and add some chili powder blend or taco seasoning to preference.
** Add Lentils: At step 3 you can also add a 1/4 cup brown lentils and 1/2 cup more broth. Add 2 tsp more enchilada seasoning
Add Beans: At step 3, you can also add 1 to 1.5 cups cooked beans/chickpeas of choice. Add 2 tsp more enchilada seasoning
Walnuts: Use other nuts such as cashews, pecans or use pumpkin seeds or just omit.
Quinoa: Use rice(white), millet, red lentils, or buckwheat.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 10g | Sodium: 560mg | Potassium: 690mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1750IU | Vitamin C: 58.2mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2.7mg