Vegan Carnitas with Mushrooms
Vegan Carnitas. Mushrooms marinated in Spicy Smoky Zesty Marinade, Baked and served with toppings in tacos, wraps, burritos. Use Jackfruit for variation. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Oilfree Recipe. Soyfree option. Makes filling for 4-5 tacos, serves 2.
- 1 onion , thinly sliced (small to medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno , thinly sliced (optional)
- 12 oz mushrooms , sliced, (white or combination or white, cremini, portobello)
- 1/4 cup orange juice or cider(plain cider not vinegar), half of both
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for glutenfree, or coconut aminos for soyfree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika , or use 1 tsp sweet paprika and 1/2 tsp smoked forless heat
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp or more chipotle pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp chili powder blend or use more of the above spices and herbs
- optional flavors: Add 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning , add 2 tbsp beer
Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (205 C). Line a baking dish with parchment.
Add the sliced onion, garlic, jalapeno, mushrooms to a large bowl. Add the orange juice/cider, lime and soy sauce and toss to mix well. Let it sit to marinate for atleast 10 mins (or chill for an hour).
Mix the ground spices in a small bowl and sprinkle on the mushrooms. Toss well to coat.
Drop the mushroom mixture onto parchment lined baking dish. Spread the mixture around so it forms a mostly single layer. Spray oil all over(optional).
Bake for 30 mins, then move the mushrooms around so the ones on the edges dont burn.(If the mushrooms or marinade is burning on the edges already, then reduce temp to 350 deg F). Bake for another 5 to 15 mins depending on preferred browning (also depends on the mushrooms used and thickness of the slices).
Serve in tacos or wraps or bowls with mashed avocado/guacamole, jalapeno, vegan sour cream, or salsa. Add some cooked beans, or refried beans for added protein. Store refrigerated for upto 4 days. Pictured with mashed avocado+ lime, jalapeno, vegan sour cream.
Skillet: You can also cook this in a skillet
Combine everything in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until the mushrooms are starting to crisp on some edges.
Jackfruit: Drain 20 oz can of young jackfruit, rinse then squeeze in a towel to remove excess brine. Shred using fork or knife and add to the bowl. Continue with the recipe. Add more of the carnitas spices if needed. Check at 20 mins and move around.
Soycurls: Soak the soycurls in warm veggie or chikin flavored broth for 10 mins. Squeeze, then shred with a knife. Add to a bowl and proceed with the recipe. Add more of the carnitas spices if needed.
Nutrition is for 1 serve of the mushroom carnitas. Does not include tortillas and toppings.
Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 531mg | Potassium: 831mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1235IU | Vitamin C: 29.9mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg