Vegan Chickpea Rice Soup
Comforting and Healing Vegan Chickpea Rice Soup with Veggies. A glutenfree variation of Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup. Easy 1 Pot 30 minute meal. Instant Pot option Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe. Soyfree option
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tsp oil or use 3 tbsp broth
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 4 celery stalks , chopped small
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning or 1/2 tsp sage, generous dashes of rosemary, nutmeg, marjoram
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp or more black pepper to taste
- 4.5 to 5 cups broth
- 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1.25 cups cooked
- 1/2 tsp salt , less or more depending on if the veggie broth is salted
- 1 to 2 tsp soy sauce , tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for soy-free
- 1/3 cup long grain whit rice , (I use white basmati, see notes for brown rice), washed well and drained
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 2 mins Add celery, herbs, spices and mix in. Cook for 2 mins
Add the broth, chickpeas, salt, soy sauce and mix.
Add the rice and bring to a rolling boil. Cook partially covered for 12 to 15 mins until rice is cooked and the flavors have developed.
Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add more herbs, some garlic powder, lime juice, black or white pepper if needed. Serve the soup garnished with parsley or cilantro
Instant Pot: Follows Steps 1 and 2 on saute. Add the rice and 4 cups of broth and mix in. Close the lid and pressure cook for 5 to 6 mins. Let the pressure release naturally. Saute for a few mins to reduce broth if needed. Taste and adjust flavor, garnish and serve.
Nutrition is for 1 serve
- Chickpeas are the protein in the soup. You can use a cup of soy curls instead, other beans, or other chikin subs such as shredded seitan or jackfruit.
- White basmati rice subs for the noodles making the soup gluten-free. Sub partially cooked brown rice and simmer for a few minutes longer until well done for variation. Or sub 7 oz noodles or pasta instead of rice.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 472mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5395IU | Vitamin C: 5.5mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 3.5mg