Vegan Apple Cake with Cinnamon Custard
Vegan Apple Cake with Cinnamon Custard. Easy Apple Cake that is soft and light. Served with a creamy vegan vanilla custard. Soyfree Recipe. Nut-free Gluten-free Options.Makes 8 by 8 inch brownie pan or square baking dish or 9 by 9 inch
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 9 slices
- 1 cup non dairy milk such as almond or soy
- 2 tbsp applesauce or non dairy yogurt or cashew cream or more non dairy milk (applesauce or yogurt work best)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup neutral oil or use 3 tbsp applesauce to make oil-free
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond extract , optional but wonderful
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups of flour (I use 1 cup Spelt flour and 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose). See GF option in notes
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 apple chopped small
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp sugar or sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops almond extract
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or potato starch
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon , 1/8 tsp turmeric for color (optional)
Line a pan with parchment with parchment hanging on the sides. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (176 C). In a bowl, mix in the wet ingredients for the cake, until the sugar is fully combined.
Add 1 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Fold into the wet until just about combined. Add more flour if needed 1 tbsp at a time to make just slightly thick batter.
In another bowl, drizzle maple over chopped apple and toss to coat. Add the apple to the batter and fold in.
Pour into the parchment lined pan and even it out. Sprinkle coconut sugar over the batter
Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 mins (depends on the pan, cake height etc). Cool for 10 mins, then remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. Store on the counter for the day, refrigerated for upto 7 days, freeze (slices) for upto a month
To make cupcakes/muffins: Bake for 22 to 24 mins for regular size muffins.
Heat 1 cup non dairy milk with the sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add cinnamon or other flavoring as needed. Add a pinch of turmeric for color.
Mix the starch in 1/4 cup nondairy milk then add to the boiling milk. Bring to a good boil and take off heat. Custard will thicken as it cools. (See tips in the post if it doesnt thicken). Serve apple cake slices drizzled with custard
Mix 1/2 cup white rice flour/oat flour, 1 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, 1 tbsp flax seed meal. Use 1 1/2 cup of the flour mix and add more as needed.
Nutrition is for 1 slice
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 187mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Vitamin C: 0.9mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 1.1mg