Vegan Gyros with Mushrooms
Vegan Gyros with Mushrooms and Tzatziki. Easy 5 Ingredient Vegan Mushroom Gyro "meat" and 5 Minute Vegan Tzatziki. Vegan Nutfree Recipe. Can be Gluten-free
Mushroom Gyro Filling:
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms , white, or a mix of cremini, white, bella (see notes for other options)
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce , See notes for subs
- 4 tsp shawarma spice blend , see notes for recipe
- 1 tsp sugar or other sweetener
- Optional addins: 2 cloves of garlic minced , salt if needed
- 7 oz firm tofu , drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1/2 English cucumber , peeled and cubed
- sliced onion, cucumber, tomato
- chopped lettuce or greens, pickles
- 3 Pita breads
Mushroom Gyro filling: Add everything to a saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup water to deglaze after 5 mins. Cover and Cook for another 6 to 8 mins or until mushrooms are tender to preference.
Make your tzatziki: Process the tofu through black pepper in a food processor until smooth. Add a tbsp of water if needed. Add dill and cucumber and pulse until cucumber is evenly chopped. taste and adjust salt, tang. (If using a blender, blend tofu through black pepper until smooth, transfer to a bowl and mix in grated cucumber and dill).
Slice onions, cucumber and tomatoes if using. Chop up some greens or lettuce. Warm the pita bread on a gas stove (directly on the gas or skillet),or grill
Assemble: Add greens if using, add the mushrooms, cucumber, onion, tomato and a generous helping of tzatziki. Serve immediately.
To store: Store the filling, toppings and tzatziki separately. Refrigerate for upto 3 days. Reheat the filling, warm the pita bread, assemble and serve.
Shawarma spice blend: Mix 1.5 tsp cumin powder, 1.5 tsp coriander powder,
1 tsp paprika, 1/3 to 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1.5 tsp garlic powder,
1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cardamom,
1/8 tsp each ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice
Variations: You can use other fillings instead of mushrooms, such as soycurls, shredded seitan, shredded jackfruit. Add 1/2 cup water with the ingredients and simmer for 10+ mins until the sauce mixture thickens. Add more sauce, flavor if needed. For Jackfruit, spread the cooked mixture on a baking sheet to bake for 10-15 mins to dry out for better texture.
Nutrition is for 1 gyro, includes pita bread
- To make this Gluten-free, use my gluten-free flatbreads instead of pita bread
- To make the tzatziki soy-free: Use 1 cup soaked cashews. You will need a bit more salt, tang and flavor.
- To make the mushrooms soyfree: Use a mix of 1 tbsp coconut aminos, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp tomato paste/ketchup.
Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 714mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 271mg | Iron: 5.5mg