Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri
Crispy Vegan Smashed Potatoes with Chimichurri. These Smashed potatoes are baked to a crisp and served with fresh homemade parsley chimichurri. Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree Recipe
For the potatoes
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes , yukon gold or white or mix, see notes for regular size potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil , olive oil or organic safflower or melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the chimichurri
- 1 cup packed parsley or one bunch parsley leaves and tender stems, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil packed or use cilantro
- 4 cloves of raw garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp vinegar, apple cider or balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp or more avocado for creamyness optional
Cook the potatoes: Add to a pressure cooker with enough water to cover the potatoes. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 mins, let the pressure release naturally.Saucepan: Add potatoes and tap water(about an inch over the potatoes) to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to cook for 25 mins or until tender.
Drain the potatoes for 5 mins. Brush oil on baking sheet, place potatoes and press with fork or potato masher to flatten to about 1/4 inch thick.
Brush oil on the potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper generously. (you can also add minced garlic and herbs). Bake at 400 deg F (205 C) for 25 to 30 mins.
Meanwhile process the chimichurri ingredients in a food processor or blender with a few tbsp of water until coarsely blended. Taste and adjust flavor with salt, lime.
Take the potatoes off the baking dish and serve hot, dressed with chimichurri.To make ahead: Boil the potatoes, flatten, cool and refrigerate for upto 3 days. Make the chimichurri and refrigerate in a closed container for upto 3 days
Variations: Use a simple basil pesto, some minced garlic and black pepper, vegan parm and garlic, tahini sauce, spices such as chili blend or cajun on the potatoes
Regular size potatoes: Will need 2 mins longer pressure cooking time and 5-10 mins longer in saucepan. cut into quarters or smaller, smash and bake.
Nutrition is for 1 serve
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 310mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1265IU | Vitamin C: 54.9mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2.3mg