Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Streusel
Easy Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Streusel. These Blueberry Streusel Muffins are soft , tall, and berrylicious. The batter needs just 1 Bowl. Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Can be made without nuts, Gluten-free option.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 cup non dairy milk , such as almond or soy or lite coconut milk
- 3 tbsp non dairy yogurt, or use 2 tbsp applesauce or non dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or other vinegar
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar , use 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/4 cup oil (neutral such as organic safflower or canola , see note for oilfree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond extract , optional but wonderful
- 2 cups of flour (I use a mix of unbleached all purpose (1.25 cup) and wheat (3/4 cup))
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest of a lime
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter softened, or oil
Line a muffin pan. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (204 deg C). In a bowl, mix in the wet ingredients until the sugar is fully combined. In another bowl, whisk 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add spices of choice if you like. See GF option in Notes below. (Optional: Add 2 tbsp almond flour to the dry for additional texture).
Fold the dry into the wet until just about combined. Add more flour if needed 1 tbsp at a time to make just slightly thick batter (you might not need any depending on the flours used).
Add lime zest. Add 1 tbsp flour to the blueberries and toss lightly then add to the batter. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the lined muffin pan, not more than 2/3 full.
Make the streusel: Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the vegan butter/ oil and mix in to make fat crumbs
Sprinkle generous streusel on the batter. Bake at 400 deg F (204 C) for 16 mins, reduce temp to 375 (190 C) and bake for another 7 to 8 mins.
Cool for 10 mins, then remove from the pan, Cool completely and store on the counter for the day or refrigerated for upto 4 days, Freeze for upto a month.
Nutrition is for 1 muffin
- To use frozen berries: Wash the berries to remove excess juices, then toss in flour and add to the batter
- To make the muffins Gluten-free: Mix 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, and 1 tbsp chia seeds/flax seed meal. Use 1 3/4 cup of the flour mix and add more as needed.
- To make the muffin Oil-free: Substitute the oil in the batter with 2 tbsp applesauce. For the streusel, use smooth softened nut butter
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 2.9mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1.2mg