Sesame Noodles with Lemongrass Tempeh Crumbles
Sesame Noodles with Lemongrass Tempeh Crumbles. Tempeh is marinated then roasted to make a delicious savory crumble which is served over quick noodles dressed in sesame oil and soy sauce. Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe
For the Tempeh Crumbles:
- 8 oz tempeh crumbled
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped lemongrass
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (white parts)
- 3.5 tbsp soy sauce , tamari for glutenfree
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 to 3 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the Sesame noodles:
- 8 oz rice noodles, pad thai noodles or stir fry rice noodles
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (tamari for glutenfree)
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp or more sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green onions (green parts)
- black pepper or pepper flakes, sriracha, sesame seeds for garnish
Crumble tempeh in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients except sesame oil and mix well to combine. Chill for atleast 15 mins or a couple of hours.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp sesame oil. Add the tempeh with the marinade and cook over medium high heat until all the marinade is absorbed and some of the tempeh edges get roasted. Press and break the larger pieces during cooking to make an even crumble. 7 to 10 mins. Remove from the skillet.
Cook the noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
Add the cooked noodles to the same(tempeh) skillet. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. (Add 1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt for additional flavor if needed. Add in 2 tbsp smooth peanut or almond butter for creamy sesame noodles). Toss well over medium heat to heat through. If the noodles are drying up, add some lime juice or broth, Taste and adjust flavor.
Distribute noodles in bowls. Add a generous helping of the tempeh. Add blanched veggies or pickled veggies on the side.
Garnish with chopped green onion, black pepper, sesame seeds or toasted peanuts. Drizzle some lime juice or sriracha if needed and serve immediately.Store the tempeh rumbles refrigerated for upto 3 days. The noodles are best made fresh.
Nutrition is for 1 serve
- Lemongrass substitute: Use more of the green onion and ginger and add 1 tbsp lime juice
- Tempeh substitute: Use slightly mashed cooked chickpeas or white beans, or crumbled super firm tofu, or soy curls (soak dried soy curls inthe marinade then chop before sauteeing into crumble size), seitan or other meat crumble substitute
- Soy substitute: Use liquid aminos and more of the other flavors. Add some chickpea miso for extra savory. Use non-soy tempeh subs from above
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 810mg | Potassium: 382mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 3mg