Vegan Pumpkin Soup (Instant Pot)
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup made in Instant Pot Pressure cooker. This pumpkin apple soup is quick and easy and perfect for fall. Stove top option. Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe, Can be nut-free
- 1 tsp oil , or use 2 tbsp broth to saute
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped (use half for less heat or use 1 tbsp chopped bell pepper)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 cup pumpkin puree , (canned 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix) or mashed cooked pumpkin, or use 3 cups/450 gm cubed pumpkin)
- 1 apple chopped (or use 1 cup more pumpkin puree)
- 1 tsp soy sauce tamari for gluten-free, (optional)
- 1/4 cup cashews , use 1/3 cup for creamier, For nut-free use 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, or 1/2 cup white beans or 1/2 cup coconut cream with 2 cups of broth instead of 2.5 cups
- 2 cups veggie broth or water , 2.5 cups for thinner
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sugar/sweetener if needed
- garnish with pepper flakes or black pepper and pumpkin seeds
Select saute on the Instant pot. Add a tsp of oil. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chili and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent.
Add the thyme, cayenne, pumpkin puree, apple, cashews, soy sauce if using, broth and salt and mix well. Cancel saute, Select manual for 12 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally once the pressure cooking time is up.
Blend using immersion blender or regular blender(carefully). Reheat to bring to a boil to thicken or reheat before serving. Taste and adjust salt, add some sweetener if needed, i like to add about a 1/2 tsp sugar. Serve garnished with pepper flakes/black pepper and pumpkin seeds or croutons.
Stove top Saucepan: Saute the onion, garlic, ginger, chili over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients, partially cover and bring to a boil. Continue to cook for 15 minutes. Blend and bring to a boil, taste and adjust flavor, garnish and serve.
Store: Refrigerate for upto 4 days. Freeze for upto a month.
No Pumpkin puree, no problem: Wash a small pumpkin that fits your instant pot, remove the stem, place it on the steamer basket over the broth+ apple mixture (step 2) (some of the pumpkin will submerge). Pressure cook for 12 mins. Let the pressure release naturally. Carefully remove the pumpkin. Wait for it cool a bit, then slice open carefully and scoop thee seeds out. The flesh would already be peeling, so remove the flesh. Transfer the pumpkin to the pot and blend. Once smooth, cook the soup on saute for 4 to 5 mins.
Nut-free: use 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, or 1/2 cup white beans, or 1/2 cup coconut cream with 2 cups of broth instead of 2.5 cups
Use a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon, herbs like rosemary and omit the cayenne.
Add 1 cup more pumpkin puree and omit the apple.
Use 3/4 cup chopped carrot instead of apples.
Use a mix of butternut squash and pumpkin or all butternut squash (3 cups cubed).
Nutrition is for 1 serve
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 386mg | Potassium: 257mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 9604IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg