Vegan Creamed Spinach with Biscuit topping
Vegan Creamed Spinach. Simple Creamy Delicious Spinach baked with non dairy cream and topped with herbed cheesy biscuit topping. Vegan Recipe. Can be Soy-free, Nut-free, Gluten-free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 6 side serving
- 1 tsp oil or broth to saute
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves of garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped or sliced onion
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 16 oz frozen spinach , thawed for 10 mins, or use chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup cashew milk (1/3 cup cashews blended with 1 cup water), or or silken tofu cream (1/2 cup silken tofu blended with 1 cup water), or other non dairy cream
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour , see not for gluten-free
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried herbs (I use rosemary and oregano)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp non dairy milk ,such as light coconut milk, soy milk or unsweetened almond milk
Heat the cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Add oregano, black pepper and pepper flakes and mix for a few seconds.
Add onion and garlic and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook until translucent. (3 to 5 mins)
Add the thawed spinach and continue to cook until the water is almost gone. (If using other hardly greens or a mix, cook the hardy greens to wilt and then add spinach)
Add the non dairy cream and salt and mix in. Take off heat. You can add 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or 1/2 tsp miso and mix in, for cheesier creamed spinach. (You can refrigerate this creamy spinach for upto a day)
Make the topping: Mix the flours and dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add 1/2 cup non dairy milk and mix in. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time to make a thick muffin like mixture. Drop spoonfuls over the spinach.
Bake at 400 deg F (205 C) for 25 mins. Broil for a minute to crisp up the biscuits if needed. Serve hot!Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for upto 2 days. Reheat in the oven for 10 mins or so.
Gluten-free: Omit the biscuit topping and serve the creamed spinach after it has thickened in the skillet.
Or use a mix of 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup oat flour and 1/4 cup starch mix for the biscuits.
Make ahead: Make the spinach mixture and refrigerate for upto 1 day. Make the biscuit topping and bake on the day to serve.
You can also refrigerate baked creamed spinach and reheat in the oven for 10 mins to serve
Nutrition is 1 serve
Calories: 135.71kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.32g | Protein: 6.23g | Fat: 4.24g | Saturated Fat: 0.29g | Sodium: 461.24mg | Potassium: 420.74mg | Fiber: 3.93g | Sugar: 1.88g | Vitamin A: 8889.41IU | Vitamin C: 6.6mg | Calcium: 185.42mg | Iron: 2.76mg