Vegan Blueberry Buckle
Vegan Blueberry Buckle. Blueberry Coffee Cake with streusel. Use any seasonal berries of choice! Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Nutfree, Gluten-free option. 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 inch pan
- 1 cup non dairy milk such as almond, light coconut, oat or soy milk
- 1 tbsp applesauce or non dairy yogurt or more non dairy milk applesauce or yogurt work best
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar , 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/4 cup neutral oil , or use 3 tbsp applesauce to make oil-free
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond extract , optional but wonderful
- 1.5 cups of flour , I use 1 cup unbleached all purpose and 1/2 cup wheat flour, or all unbleached all purpose, see note for gluten-free
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups frozen blueberries , I use a mix of wild and regular blueberries, do not thaw, or use fresh. Or use mixed seasonal berries.
- 1/2 cup flour (all purpose)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 tsp tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or use oil
- 1.5 tbsp oil refined coconut or other neutral like safflower
Line a pan with parchment with parchment hanging on the edges. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (176 C). In a bowl, mix in the wet ingredients until the sugar is fully combined.
In another bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. (Add spices of choice if you like.
Fold into the wet until just about combined. Add more flour if needed 1 tbsp at a time to make just slightly thick batter. Pour into a parchment lined pan. Add blueberries on top and lightly fold some of the berries with the batter just on the top, not in the entire batter.
In a bowl, add the dry streusel ingredient and mix well. Add the vegan butter and oil and mix it in with your fingers until well distributed and crumbly. Add a bit more oil if needed for fat crumb mixture. Spread over the cake batter.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 mins (depends on the pan, cake height etc). Cool for 10 mins, then remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped coconut cream, ice cream or a simple icing if you wish. Store on the counter for upto 2 days, refrigerated for upto 7 days, freeze (slices) for upto a month
Gluten-free: Mix 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, 1 tbsp chia seeds/flax seed meal. Use 1 3/4 cup of the flour mix and add more as needed. For streusel use a mix of rice flour and almond flour.
Oil-free: Use apple sauce for the batter.
Use 1/4 cup nut butter for the streusel, Also use 1/4 cup brown sugar and add few tsp maple syrup as needed to make a crumbly mixture.
Nutrition is for 1 slice.
Calories: 159.65kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.42g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6.68g | Saturated Fat: 0.71g | Sodium: 172.14mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 1.03g | Sugar: 10.2g | Vitamin A: 74.32IU | Vitamin C: 1.35mg | Calcium: 51.15mg | Iron: 0.89mg