1. In a medium skillet, add oil and heat at medium. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until translucent. 6 minutes.
2. Add the tempeh, ginger, garlic, cayenne, garam masala, fenugreek leaves and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add water, cilantro, tomato, mix and cook uncovered for 18 to 20 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
4. Add non dairy milk, chickpea flour , lemon juice, chaat masala, sugar. Mix well and cook until most of the liquid is gone. 3 minutes. Keep aside.
Make the Rice
1. Wash and soak the rice in warm water for 15 minutes. The soaking helps make fluffy rice with visible individual grains.
2. Heat oil in a skillet at medium heat. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Cook for a minute or until fragrant.
3. Drain the rice and add to the pan. Mix well. Add salt, saffron, raisins, and water, mix and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and let the rice cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Take off heat. Use a fork fluff the rice. Add half of Tempeh mixture and mix in. Cover and let the rice sit for 5 minutes.
5. To serve, add rice to a bowl, add some of the Tempeh tikka mixture, lemon juice, pomegranate or other fruit, cilantro and mint. Serve with non dairy yogurt or as a side with any light curry. This is a dryer rice side with a lot of flavor. Dress with non dairy yogurt/raita, cashew cream or mint cilantro chutney if serving by itself. Remove and discard the whole spices just before serving.
To make with Tofu: Add tofu at step 2 and cook for 5 minutes or longer until slightly golden on some edges. Do not add water. Add chickpea flour, non dairy milk (step 4) and cook through dry. To make with Veggies: Add veggies at Step 2 instead of Tempeh. mix in, cover and cook until veggies are tender crisp. then proceed to Step 4.Nutritional values based on one serving