I make the usual dry Potatoes and green Bell pepper stir fry type of main dish often. This one has red bell pepper as well and is flavored a bit differently, with some Fennel(Saunf) and Nigella(Kalonji). Fennel and Nigella seeds give the dish a slight pickley effect. Most indian pickles have a good amount of fennel and nigella seeds in them. If you've tried indian mango pickles and other pickles and have liked them, then do give this simple dish a try!
Fennel and Nigella seeds are excellent for digestion the nigella seeds oil is also great for reducing allergy symptoms.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- pinch of asofetida(hing)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds(saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds(kalonji)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a medium pan, heat oil on medium low heat until hot.
- Add in the asofetida, cumin powder and give it a quick mix.
- Add in the fennel seeds and nigella seeds and turmeric and give it a mix.
- Add in the garlic and chili flakes and let the garlic turn golden.
- Add in the potatoes, peppers and salt and mix well.
- Cook on low heat covered with occasional stirring for about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoed are cooked.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of black pepper! Enjoy with Rotis or Naans!