Thats a mouthful of names
I just thought of putting up a couple of complete meals on the blog. This week one of our meals was Roasted and Mashed Eggplant(Baingan Bharta), Pigeon Pea curry(Toor daal sambhar), Indian flat bread(Rotis), and Lentil chips(Papad).
A post on some types of Indian bread used in daily meals is in the works.
Here’s My recipe for Baingan Bharta !
Heres the wiki about Papads/Papadam with pictures and a video on how to make your own at home . (I just get mine from the Indian stores, microwave them for 30 seconds or roast on medium flame and they are ready!)
Heres a video on how to make Roti/Chapati . We use vegan butter or organic canola oil instead of ghee(clarified butter).
And the recipe for my version of Sambhar follows below.
Baingan Bharta .. Roasted Mashed Spiced Eggplant.
Toor Daal Sambhar(Pigeon Pea Soup)
- 1/2 cup Toor Daal soaked for an hour( Pigeon Pea)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 medium Tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green beans or baby eggplant
- 1/2 teaspoon Sambhar powder (you can buy it at any indian store or make your own. recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 3 Dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida powder(hing)
- Salt to taste(1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon tamarind concentrate.
- In a pressure cooker or a deep pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, urad dal,cumin seeds,dry red chillies,curry leaves and asafoetida powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, carrots, beans or eggplant, sauté for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are half done.
- Add in the salt, sugar, soaked and drained toor dal, sambhar powder, coriander powder, tamarind concentrate and 1.5 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle or more(depends on how mashed you want the lentils). If cooking in a pan, cover and cook on low heat for 20 + minutes.
- Serve hot as side curry, topped with chopped cilantro, with Roti(Indian bread) and a dry veggie dish(subzi)!