Another quick pasta.. and another creamy pesto. If you dont like cilantro much, substitute that with basil!
Topped with right off the grill Blackened Tempeh strips for the meat eater's craving!. Add or change anything you like! I'll let the pictures and the recipe do the talking..
Cilantro almond Pesto:
- Cut up the tempeh in 1/2 inch strips.
- Mix in all the ingredients of the marinade and rub over the tempeh. Use more or less marinade, according to preference. Keep for atleast half an hour. Also use the spices according to taste. We like our tempeh a bit spicy.
- In a small deep non stick pan(can use grill pan too), add some canola oil and heat at medium heat, and arrange the tempeh.
- Add in 2/3 cup water or just about to reach the tops of the strips and cook covered on Low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Flip the strips and cook for another 10 minutes. The water should have been absorbed by the tempeh. Keep cooking on the same pan to blacken the strips a little or grill them in any which way, for a few minutes till preferred blackened effect! Cook the tempeh right before serving so it is hot and sizzling!
- Cook the pasta according to instruction and keep aside.
- For the pesto, blend the almonds, cilantro, chili, garlic cloves, salt and olive oil into a smooth paste. Use some water if necessary.
- Toss the pasta in the pesto and top it off with the hot blackened Tempeh and some tomato slices!.
- Drop some extra pesto, some chopped cilantro, chili flakes or anything you fancy on top! Quick sizzling Meal!
- Other sauces like a garlicky tomato basil, or a creamy chipotle (cashew cream+chipotle peppers) would work with the blackened Tempeh too! Have a fun Monday!
Sending this to My Legume Love Affair, created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook and hosted this month by Susan herself.