Basil Jalapeno Corn Fritters. Easy Gluten-free Vegan Corn Fritters with jalapeno, basil and black pepper. Serve with ketchup, vegan ranch or chutneys of choice. Soy-free Recipe. Pin this post.
It has been incredibly hot the past few days and I realized we have a few more weeks of Summer left. Yes! Bring on all that sweet corn to make some corn fritters.
These corn fritters are super easy and super quick. Toss, some corn, herbs, spices and rice flour. Add water and cook on a skillet. I added fresh basil, jalapeno and loads of black pepper to these. It helps make the summer heat bearable, because you would be hotter than the heat outside ;0. And the sweating helps cool things down ;).
I use rice flour and cornmeal in these fritters. Any flour will work (wheat, all purpose, chickpea etc). I prefer white rice flour as it tends to be more crunchy and less gummy than regular flour. The flavor also lets the corn shine through. There is more corn than batter, so some of the corn gets nicely toasted and smoky almost like a grilled corn fritter. Use herbs of choice and make these fritters. Serve with cilantro chutney, vegan ranch, ketchup or other dips.
More Summer Recipes from the blog
- Jamaican Jerk Black Bean, Blackened Corn Salsa Tacos
- Masala Bhutta – Indian Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Tabbouleh Pasta Salad
- Summer rolls
- 2 loaded cups frozen sweet corn, thawed, or fresh corn off the cob
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped, or use Serrano pepper (remove seeds for less heat)
- ¼ cup chopped basil (or use cilantro)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ⅓ to ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup white rice flour
- 3 to 4 tbsp cornmeal
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup or more water
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients corn through baking powder including the baking powder. Toss well to distribute.
- Add water and mix. Add enough water until the mixture is pasty but not a batter. There will be more corn than batter.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray or spread oil on the skillet. Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture on the hot skillet and spread to make a roundish shape. Cook until golden brown on both sides. 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Repeat for all fritters. Serve with chutneys, ketchup, guacamole or vegan ranch.
Vote for your favorite blogs, websites, vegan products on the VegNews 2016 veggie awards! I got nominated woohoo! There are several gifts for grabs for voting.