Shakshuka is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions, often spiced with cumin popular in Israel and North Africa-Tunisian region.
For a vegan version I use sweet potato slices to act as the yolk and tofu slices for the whites. This is an excellent filling breakfast or brunch or even dinner with some freshly toasted and buttered artisan or multigrain bread. Mmmm, warm hearty savory breakfast for the win.
This Shakshuka comes together quickly and looks so pretty! Use a large skillet to accommodate as many sweet potato slices as possible.
To make soy-free, omit the tofu or use chickpea tofu.
Look at the gorgeous deep colors!
More breakfast options from the blog
- Smoky Asparagus Tofu Scramble. Spring Vegan Glutenfree
- Soy-free White bean Broccolini Frittata
- Chickpea scramble sandwich
- Sweet Potato Crepes Stuffed with smoky millet. GF
In other news, this was the front page of Huffington Post for a few hours yesterday! Read the article here.
Inspiration for the week. In depth interview with Gene Baur. He will also be on the Daily show tonight.
If you missed my twitter #veganfoodchat event last wednesday, see the replay here. there will be more events in May!
- pressed firm tofu as needed
- 1 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion 1 small onion
- 1 hot green chile or jalapeno
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped tomato 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium sweet potato thinly sliced (peeled if needed, then sliced)
- 1/4 tsp indian black salt kala namak
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- nutritional yeast to taste
- Slice lightly pressed tofu into a fat circle using a cookie cutter. Slice the circle to make thin (1/4 inch thick) circles. Rub kala namak on each of the circles, both sides, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, chile and peppers and cook until onion is translucent. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cumin,salt and tomatoes and mix and cook until slightly saucy. 3 to 4 minutes. Mash the larger tomatoes. Add water and mix. Place sweet potato slices, sprinkle a little kala namak on the slices, and cook for 11 to 14 minutes or until sweet potato slices are tender to preference.
- Place the tofu circles under each of the sweet potato slices. Sprinkle black pepper, more kala namak and a generous dash of nutritional yeast on each of the egg structures. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Let it sit for another 2 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley, serve with toasted bread or pita.
Variations: add harissa spice blend or paste, or chipotle pepper powder, or garam masala for flavor variations.
Nutritional values based on one serving