Pound cake slices from the neighboring coffee shop were often the to go snack or breakfast on the days I was in a hurry (when I was working a 9 to 5 job right out of school and not yet settled in). That seems like a lifetime ago. Seattle is quite a comfortable place as a vegan. There are generally enough options for everything. Pound cakes however have been rarely seen.
I decided to make my own this season. This Easy Marbled Pound Cake today to celebrate the week that is my Birthday! I added vegan cream cheese to this one and it makes each slice just the right dense and fudgy.
Vegan cream cheese brands might have soy in some form and some additives that can add other flavors tot he cake. You can add more vanilla or spices to mask it if needed or a frosting. To make this soy-free, use kite hill almond cream cheese or use my soy-free mini pound cake recipe. Make the pound cake plain or marbled.
Look at that gorgeous slice!
More cakes, quick breads from the blog
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Marble Cake
- Soy-free Mini Pound cake
- Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Cake and Cake Mix In a Jar
- Vegan Gingerbread Cake
- Banana Apple Breakfast Loaf
- Yellow Cake Swiss Roll
Drop by Our Vegan journey and Frequently Asked Questions (Vegan FAQ) Page on the blog.
Make the cake batter. Divide into 2 bowls. Add cocoa to one of the bowls. Marble in parchment lined loaf.
Bake until a toothpick from the center comes out clean. Cool, slice, enjoy.
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese. or you can use silken tofu + 1 tsp lime juice or cashew cream
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp thick cashew cream or coconut cream or non dairy yogurt I use non dairy yogurt
- 2/3 cup sugar 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1 to 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups flour I use 1 cup Spelt + 1 cup unbleached white(ap flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp non dairy milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a blender blend all the wet ingredients.
- In a bowl whisk all the dry ingredients until well combined. Add the blended wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined. The batter will be thick. Divide the batter into 2 bowls. in one bowl add cocoa powder plus 2 tbsp non dairy milk.mix in.
- Drop the plain batter into parchment lined loaf. Even it out. Then drop the chocolate batter and even it out.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick from near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Then remove from the pan and let it sit on the cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve or store.
- Store covered on the counter for the day, or refrigerate in a airtight container for upto 4 days. Warm and serve.
Nutritional values based on one serving