General Tso’s Tofu Sandwich. Vegan General Tso Sauce Recipe. Bake the tofu or pan fry, add blanched veggies and make a sandwich or wrap. Vegan Nut-free Recipe. can be gluten-free with gf buns or wrap.
If I could just grab this General Tso’s Tofu Sandwich off the screen I would! This simple sandwich has a quick general tso’s sauce poured all over some pressed tofu and baked, served over blanched broccoli and greens in a sandwich. You can make it into a wrap or serve it up bowl style with some cooked grains, greens and sprouts.
I generally make pan fried version of general tso’s tofu or veggies with variations of this sauce. But we all need a change from the usual stir fry. For the sandwich I wanted larger slices of the tofu, no rice and less time in the kitchen. This sandwich = one is not enough!
Make it and let me know how you served it! You definitely want to make this Vegan General Tsos Sauce.
These tofu slices and juicy and soft. For a crispier version, crisp up the tofu in a skillet, pour sauce and thicken and serve.
More quick Weeknight meals
- 1 pot Peanut Butter Noodles and Veggies GF
- Sweet And Sour Chickpeas and Broccoli GF
- Kung Pao Lentils GF
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce GF Soy-free
- Tofu, Veggies, Brown Rice Noodles with from scratch hoisin sauce . GF
Press the tofu, then slice and place in a baking pan. Make the general tsos sauce mixture and pour over the tofu so somewhat submerge.
Bake until the sauce thickens.
Place the slices on a sandwich. Pour some of the thickened sauce. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and serve!
Easy, Quick, fun, and tasty!
- 14 oz tofu sliced into 8 slices
- Blanched broccoli or broccoli slaw
- toasted sesame seeds optional
- Burger buns or tortillas
- 1/4 cup water of veggie broth
- 3 to 4 tbsp sugar or coconut sugar or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce use tamari to make gluten-free
- 1 tbsp mirin rice wine
- 2 to 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek chile paste optional or sriracha or pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Press the tofu in a tofu press or in paper towels for atleast 10 mins. Slice and place in baking dish in one layer.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce. mix well. I use a small blender to blend everything except garlic, then mix in minced garlic. If not using veggie broth, add a generous pinch of salt to the sauce.
- Pour in the baking dish and let sit to marinate for 15 mins or overnight for make ahead.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc. Bake for 25 mins or until the sauce thickens.
- Prep the sandwich ingredients. Toast the bread or burger buns on a skillet over medium heat. Layer Greens, blanched broccoli slices or broccoli slaw. Thinly slice the broccoli if needed. Place the tofu slices. Pour some of the extra sauce over the tofu, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (optional) and serve immediately.
- Other additions to the sandwich instead of broccoli can be thinly sliced crunchy veggies like cucumber, carrots or cabbage,some cilantro, sliced jalapeno.
- Press the tofu and slice or cube. Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook until golden on some sides, 5 to 7 mins. Flip a few times in between.
- Prep the sauce and add to the skillet. You can also add some veggies with the sauce. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and heat. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Serve in a burger, or wraps or make a bowl with cooked rice/grains, and blanched broccoli
Add 1 tsp. tomato paste or ketchup to the sauce for deeper flavor.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 Serves, does not include buns.