Easy Vegan Latkes. Potato & Sweet Potato Latkes. Panfried crispy latke fritters for Hanukkah. Vegan Gluten-free soy-free Nut-free Recipe. 7 Ingredients.
The year is slipping by. Just a few weeks to go before we hit 2018. Its been one hectic year so far. Book work, Chewie being sick (he is doing much better now, almost his normal demanding and barky self). And I have been playing catch up with posts on the blog.
Lets get to these simple latkes before the season passes us by. Potatoes, onions and sweet potatoes are shredded and mixed with starch, salt and pepper, then pan fried until crisp. You can also deep fry these latkes. The key is time and patience. Burnt potato does not taste good. Golden is bliss. Make thin latka and let them cook through. Serve with applesauce, vegan sour cream or other toppings of choice. Continuing with December deals and giveaways! See below.
More Fritters from the blog
- Zucchini Carrot Chickpea Fritters – GF option
- Veggie Fritters Pakora – baked GF
- Chipotle Broccoli Fritters – GF
- Turmeric Lentil Chia fritters – GF option
Giveaways and Deals! My first Book Indian Kitchen has German, Polish and Spanish Versions already out. The second Everyday Kitchcen will have German and Portuguese in the next year or so. Get any of these with coupon “BOOKGIFT17” FOR $5 OFF Print books on Amazon.
Also pick up the KINDLE version for 90% off if you bought the print book!
Giveaway: On this post I am giving away 8 Signed Labels to put on your book copies. This is open to worldwide! To Enter, comment on this post about your current favorite blog or book recipe.
Easy Vegan Latkes. Potato & Sweet Potato Latkes. Panfried crispy latke fritters for Hanukkah. Vegan Gluten-free soy-free Nut-free Recipe.
- 2 medium russet or yellow potatoes about 2 lbs
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled if you like
- 1/2 yellow or red onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2 to 3 tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 tbsp flour or chickpea flour(for eggy flavor) or more starch
- Other additions: some dill , scallions, 1 tsp mustard. For spiced latkes, add some garam masala or berbere spice blend.
- 3 tsp organic safflower or canola oil to pan fry
- Shred or grate your potatoes and onion. I use a hand grater for the potatoes and processor for sweet potatoes, you can also use a spiralizer. Add to a bowl, add a pinch of salt and mix. Then use paper towels to wrap the mixture and squeeze to remove the excess moisture.
Add salt, 1/3 tsp black pepper, cayenne, starch and flour to the potatoes and mix in. The potatoes dont need much binding as they will cook and stick.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. Brush oil. Place spoonfuls of the mixture and press lightly and spread.
Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side. If the potatoes are browning too quickly, reduce the heat a bit.
Garnish with black pepper, salt, pepper flakes. Serve warm with vegan sour cream or apple sauce or other toppings.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves (2 fritters)