This easy squash sandwich…:)
We keep getting some or the other squash from our weekly farm delivery. I have this one squash, which I don’t even what it is ..:) It is dirty green with some rough bumps on it, shaped somewhat like a pumpkin.. can anyone give me a name to put on that squash?
I don’t know how you all roast a humongous squash when the squash cutting person (read husband) is not around. The other day I was done trying to cut it open. So I just took the whole Butternut squash, made a couple of tiny knife holes in it, lightly coated it with oil, put it on a baking sheet and popped it into the oven at 335 degrees F and baked it till my knife went in super easy(at least half an hour). Done!
I cooled the squash, cut it open, which was now super easy because it was cooked and soft. Scooped out the innards and cut off the stem. The peel was already separating from the squash so pulled it off.
Chopped it up and refrigerated it.
Ha! I am not playing around with any of those slippery squashes again. I might end up cutting my finger or something. I am going to roast them all whole!
I keep running out of ideas to use them up. After adding the roasted squash to salads, curries, and eating as a side( I still had some left), I decided to put some in an easy sandwich. Load it up with some caramelized onions, drench it all in spicy mayo(Sriracha mayo idea borrowed from Erin’s Reuben twist), and eat it messily.
For more Burgers and Sandwiches see here.
Prep the buns/rolls. Toast lightly if needed. Top the bottom of the roll with lettuce(or baby greens), tomatoes (optional).
Toss the roasted butternut cubes in salt, pepper and herbs of choice. I used parsley.
Top with caramelized onions.
Drench the whole tower in as much or as little of the Sriracha/hot sauce vegenaise.
Top with other half of the roll.
Eat, spill on the sides, eat.
Roasted Butternut Squash Slider with Balsamic Caramelized onions, Sriracha Mayo. Vegan Sandwich Recipe
- Dinner rolls or slider buns
For the roasted squash:
- 2 cups (280 g) cubed roasted butternut squash or other squash
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt pepper, italian herbs to taste
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha or garlic chile sauce
- 4 Tbsp vegan mayo
For the Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup (160 g) sliced onion
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) sugar
- a generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Prep the buns/rolls. Toast lightly if needed. I used my Spelt Rye Sorghum Kamut Barley Multigrain rolls.
- Top the roll with lettuce or baby greens, tomato slices (optional).
- Heat up a pan with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and Toss the Roasted butternut cubes in salt, pepper and herbs of choice(I used parsley) for a minute to heat it all up. you can also serve it cold tossed in salt and herbs. Use cubed or sliced.
- (If you dont have roasted squash, slice the raw squash and place in a large greased pan on medium heat. Flip the slices after 6-8 minutes, sprinkle salt, pepper, herbs, and cook till tender.)
- Top with Balsamic or plain Caramelized onions.
- Drench the whole tower in as much or as little of the Sriracha/hot sauce vegenaise/mayo.
- Top with other half of the roll.
- Eat, spill on the sides.
- Add 1 Tablespoon(or more to taste) of Sriracha or hot sauce in 4-5 Tablespoons of Vegenaise or home made mayo like this one or Sriracha/hot sauce mixed in cashew cream. Mix and use.
- Add enough evoo(extra virgin olive oil) or other oil of choice to coat a pan, heat on medium and cook sliced onion for 10 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon sugar(for a 1/2 cup of sliced onion) and a few drops on water. Mix and keep cooking on low-medium, partially covered, stirring every 6-8 minutes, until golden brown. If the onions start to stick or burn add some water. For balsamic onions, Add Balsamic vinegar(1/2 teaspoon or more to taste, for 1/2 cup onion) and cook for another 2-3 minutes.