I have a to do list for the next few weeks, from the requests on my facebook page .. Some sticky buns, a gluten free vegan daily bread, and some yummy dim sum recipes!! I spent some time this week browsing around and thinking of something different to add to the sticky buns.. some on making a list of flours to order for the gluten free bread , and reading up on a couple of gluten free recipes!.. And in the middle of it all our refrigerator's defrost timer went bad leading to warm squishy freezer items! That got fixed thankfully but I am craving some Kulfi(Indian icecream )!.. so thats added to the to do list too.. to make with oats and cashew milk, cardamom and saffron!
Back to sticky buns! I like cinnamon, but dont love the whole lot of it in as in a cinnamon sticky roll.. I saw some big organic carrots looking back at me yesterday, when I opened the fridge to give some baby carrots to Chewie(Chewie loves carrots, cauliflower, peas and what not, he probably was a herbivore in his previous life)! And then a bulb went on somewhere..
A Carrot cake and a sticky cinnamon bun had a baby...A carroty, not too sweet, sticky cranberry cashew filling and topped with simple glaze, or not.. roll was born... you can use chopped walnuts and raisins in the filling for a more carrot cake effect. I was out of walnuts and I like cranberries more than raisins.:) Pictured below without any glaze.
Makes 6 rolls/buns
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup bread flour
- 2 Tablespoons earth balance butter
- 3 Tablespoons raw sugar ( a tablespoon more for sweeter roll)
- 1/2 cup carrot( finely grated or coarsely blended)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons earth balance butter
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cranberries/raisins or per filling requirement
- 1/2 cup cashews/walnuts coarsely ground or finely chopped
- sugar as needed
- In a large bowl , Warm 2 Tablespoons of water and add yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Coarsely grind carrots with a little water if needed. You can use finely grated carrots as well, like you would for a carrot cake. Since this is a yeast bread, it does well with coarse mushy blended carrot. Add in the sugar to the carrots and blend for a few seconds to combine.
- Add in wheat and bread flour to the yeast mixture bowl. Add in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, softened butter and the carrot puree/grated carrot and knead. If using grated carrots, you might need a bit more water to form the dough.
- knead into a soft, not sticky dough. Use more bread flour or water if needed.
- Place dough in well greased container. Spritz top with water and cover container. Let sit for 1.5 hours or until the dough doubles.
- Take the dough and using a little flour knead and roll it out into half an inch thick rectangle.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a pan, add in the maple syrup and cinnamon, cranberries and chopped cashews, mix well and take off heat. Or keep the syrup and cranberries,cashews separate to make it easy to spread.
- Spread the syrup and nuts evenly on the dough all over upto an inch from the corners. Sprinkle some sugar and more cinnamon if you want. I sprinkled a little sugar. Make more or less filling for as thick or thin a filling layer.
- Roll the dough tightly from one end like a jelly roll. Using some water, seal the edge and sides.
- With the seam side down, cut the jelly roll into inch thick slices.
- Place slices on greased baking sheet or parchment an inch apart. Spritz top with water and cover with towel. Let rise for 45 minutes
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack. Serve warm topped with the filling mixture, or warm maple/agave or cream cheese frosting(fluff up some earth balance, sugar, vanilla and tofutti) or vanilla icing
- The rolls are not too sugary as our sweetness requirement is on the very mild side. So add more sugar and or maple per taste!