Comfort food for me when snacking is some hot Poha(flattened rice cooked with potatoes and spices), and at meal time is some Hot and simple Daal(Lentil soup) with roti(indian flat bread) and indian pickle Or plain hot basmati rice! At other times some Rajma chawal(Red Kidney Beans curry and Rice). Of course, there’s cookies and moist cakes.. but those are in a different set.. in foods that I got introduced to in my 20s.:) different moods and memories..
A Note about spices used for tempering(Tadka). The same Daal/lentil/beans can pick up a completely different taste with different spices. Here are some combinations I use, Fennel (Saunf) and Nigella (kalonji)seeds compliment each other, or a combination of mustard and cumin seeds, or mustard and coriander seeds, or cumin and carom(Ajwain) seeds, or add a bay leaf and/or add a clove(Laung) or 2, or some dried fenugreek(methi) leaves, garam masala or fresh coconut. There are also regional preferences, like some regions in india prefer mustard in all Tadkas while my mom cannot live without some cumin. I like fennel with whole lentils,(red and mung bean). and coriander and mustard in yellow lentils.
Some other daals(lentil or bean soups) already posted, all under the label Daal.
Here’s another simple Yellow lentil soup. With a simple tadka(tempering)! As kids, we would sneak into our neighbor’s place just for some Daal and Chawal (rice). Their Daal was pigeon Pea(Toor) tempered with just mustard seeds and some ginger and garlic. Good old memories.
- Soak the lentils in warm water for an hour to overnight.
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot on medium low heat.
- Add mustard(raee) seeds and after a few seconds of sputtering, add cumin(jeera) and nigella(Kalonji) seeds.
- Add in the asofetida(hing) and curry leaves and mix.
- Add in the chili and garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown.( 1-2 minutes)
- Add in onions and cook until translucent.(3-4 minutes)
- Rinse the soaked daal and add it to the pan with the water, salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar(optional) and turmeric.
- Mix well. Cook for 2 whistles in pressure cooker or Cook covered for 20-25 minutes if in pan.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and lime wedges !. Serve with basmati rice or as a side dish with Roti, pickles, one or two vegetable stir fry dishes and a salad of onions and cucumbers tossed in lemon juice, salt and black pepper!. Theres your complete indian meal!
- You can also serve this as dip with some nice crusty bread. Add some lime juice, olive oil, chopped cucumber and garam masala on the dip! Comfort food on a cool evening!. Have an awesome day everyone!
This comforting Daal is headed to Ricki’s Wellness Weekend!