Daal Series – Yellow Lentil Soup. Delicious, healthy and easy vegan comfort food packed full of spices and delicious flavors. Jump to Recipe
Everyone has their own comfort food, depending on their personal preferences, their cultural or regional preferences, and the time of year or day!
Yellow Lentil Soup: Vegan Comfort Food
- 1/3 cup (69 g) split yellow mung daal (split and skinless green gram/green mung bean)
- 1/3 cup (78.86 g) split Toor daal (split and skinless pigeon pea)
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) water
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds (Raee)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) nigella seeds (Kalonji seeds, I get onsessed with a spice or 2 every few weeks. this month is Nigella month. You can omit them)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 5 curry leaves (you can find these fresh or frozen in any Indian store. If you don't have these, substitute with one bay leaf. Nothing can replace curry leaves though)
- 1/2 (0.5 ) Serrano chili pepper or any chili pepper chopped (quantity by heat level of the pepper. The current organic ones we get are extremely hot, so we use 1/4. the non organic ones that we used to get were moderately spicy and we need almost 1 whole chili)
- 4-5 cloves (4 cloves) of garlic chopped
- 1/4 (0.25 ) medium onion chopped
- Cilantro for garnish
- Soak the lentils in warm water for an hour to overnight.
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat the oil on medium heat until hot on medium low heat.
- Add mustard(raee) seeds and after a few seconds of sputtering, add cumin(jeera) and nigella(Kalonji) seeds.
- Add in the asofetida(hing) and curry leaves and mix.
- Add in the chili and garlic and cook till garlic is golden brown.( 1-2 minutes)
- Add in onions and cook until translucent.(3-4 minutes)
- Rinse the soaked daal and add it to the pan with the water, salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar(optional) and turmeric.
- Mix well. Cook for 2 whistles in pressure cooker or Cook covered for 20-25 minutes if in pan.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and lime wedges !. Serve with basmati rice or as a side dish with Roti, pickles, one or two vegetable stir fry dishes and a salad of onions and cucumbers tossed in lemon juice, salt and black pepper!. Theres your complete indian meal!
- You can also serve this as dip with some nice crusty bread. Add some lime juice, olive oil, chopped cucumber and garam masala on the dip!