Hope you all had great weekend! I made some blueberry apple puree compote the other day, thinking of putting it either in a cookie or a granola bar.. but ended up making this wonderful cake out of it!
The cake has wheat and oats, my current favorite combination and is moist and dense because of the thick fruit syrup. Its almost like a dense bar! and oh so yumm. Makes for a great snack or breakfast with you favorite hot drink!.
On another note, I am trying to help Animal Aid, a 501c3 registered rescue in India find some volunteers. If you are interested, please ping me! They have a beautiful sanctuary and care for all animals dogs, cows, donkeys and have a hospital as well. They get some international volunteers too, who take a volunteer vacation(vacation+volunteer work), and always have beautiful words about their experience.
Ingredients: One 6x3 inch pan
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped apple
- 4 Tablespoons raw sugar or jaggery grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3-4 Tablespoons water
- You can prepare the compote beforehand and keep. Blend the blueberries, apple, sugar and cinnamon in a blender into a smooth puree. use a little water if needed.
- Cook this puree on low heat till it thickens to a thick syrup consistency. about 15-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flax meal, vinegar, oil, and 1/4 cup almost hot water.
- Mix it well till the mixture is well combined. Add in the oats and sugar, mix well and keep aside for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, salt, baking powder.
- Add the fruit syrup and the flours to the flax meal mixture. Mix lightly.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add in a few tablespoons water at a time. Mix until just about combined like a muffin batter.
- Grease a mini loaf well. Drop batter in and even it out.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the Middle comes out clean.
- Let cool a little before removing from pan and slicing! Serve warm as is, or topped with blueberry compote or the strawberry orange one in the pictures.:) Have a fun day!
This cake is shared with SimplySugarandglutenfree's Slightly indulgent Tuesday.