Roasted Butternut Squash Slider with Balsamic Caramelized onions, Sriracha Mayo. Vegan Sandwich Recipe

What to do with all that squash and what to serve for Game day.. 2 Questions.. 1 answer..
This easy squash sandwich…:)

We keep getting some or the other squash from our weekly farm delivery. I have this one squash, which I don’t even what it is ..:) It is dirty green with some rough bumps on it, shaped somewhat like a pumpkin.. can anyone give me a name to put on that squash?
I don’t know how you all roast a humongous squash when the squash cutting person (read husband) is not around. The other day I was done trying to cut it open. So I just took the whole Butternut squash, made a couple of tiny knife holes in it, lightly coated it with oil, put it on a baking sheet and popped it into the oven at 335 degrees F and baked it till my knife went in super easy(at least half an hour). Done!
I cooled the squash, cut it open, which was now super easy because it was cooked and soft. Scooped out the innards and cut off the stem. The peel was already separating from the squash so pulled it off.
Chopped it up and refrigerated it.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onion, Sriracha Mayo Sandwich

Ha! I am not playing around with any of those slippery squashes again. I might end up cutting my finger or something. I am going to roast them all whole!
I keep running out of ideas to use them up. After adding the roasted squash to salads, curries, and eating as a side( I still had some left), I decided to put some in an easy sandwich. Load it up with some caramelized onions, drench it all in spicy mayo(Sriracha mayo idea borrowed from Erin’s Reuben twist), and eat it messily.

For more Burgers and Sandwiches see here.

Steps:
Prep the buns/rolls. Toast lightly if needed. Top the bottom of the roll with lettuce(or baby greens), tomatoes (optional).
Toss the roasted butternut cubes in salt, pepper and herbs of choice. I used parsley.

Roasted Butternut Squash Slider with Balsamic Caramelized onions, Sriracha Mayo. Vegan Richa

Top with caramelized onions.

Drench the whole tower in as much or as little of the Sriracha/hot sauce vegenaise.

Top with other half of the roll.
Eat, spill on the sides, eat.

Roasted Butternut Squash, Balsamic Caramelized onion, Sriracha Mayo Sandwich
Allergy Information: Dairy, Egg, corn free. Can be made Soy-free with cashew mayo, nut-free with Vegenaise, gluten-free with glutenfree buns.

Prep the buns/rolls. Toast lightly if needed. I used my Spelt Rye Sorghum Kamut Barley Multigrain rolls.
Top the bottom of the roll with lettuce or baby greens, tomato slices (optional).
Heat up a pan with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and Toss the Roasted butternut cubes in salt, pepper and herbs of choice(I used parsley) for a minute to heat it all up. you can also serve it cold tossed in salt and herbs. Use cubed or slices.
(If you dont have roasted squash, slice the raw squash and place in a large greased pan on medium heat. Flip the slices after 6-8 minutes, sprinkle salt, pepper, herbs, and cook till tender.)
Top with Balsamic or plain Caramelized onions.
Drench the whole tower in as much or as little of the Sriracha/hot sauce vegenaise/mayo.
Top with other half of the roll.
Eat, spill on the sides, eat.

Sriracha Mayo:
Add 1 Tablespoon(or more to taste) of Sriracha or hot sauce in 4-5 Tablespoons of Vegenaise or home made mayo like this one or Sriracha/hot sauce mixed in cashew cream. Mix and use.

Caramelized Onions:
Add enough evoo(extra virgin olive oil) or other oil of choice to coat a pan, heat on medium and cook sliced onion for 10 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon sugar(for a 1/2 cup of sliced onion) and a few drops on water. Mix and keep cooking on low-medium, partially covered, stirring every 6-8 minutes, until golden brown. If the onions start to stick or burn add some water. For balsamic onions, Add Balsamic vinegar(1/2 teaspoon or more to taste, for 1/2 cup onion) and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

This sandwich is being shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Ricki’s wellness weekend.

Want More Delicious Recipes to Your Inbox?

Comments

what a fabulous idea, richa! i would eat this sandwich in a heartbeat! also, i love your roasting the whole squash idea. i always have a hard time cutting those babies open!

Thanks Barb! I think it is all those colors:)) it is a simple sandwich which i wasnt even sure about posting:) thankfully i took some pictures:)

2. Anonymous says

I like this recipe, especially the mayo ideas. The green squash you mentioned sounds like a Kabocha squash – they’re delicious.

Richa, you have an uncanny talent for flavor pairing! This combination is blowing my mind- So many things I already love, but would never have thought to bring together in such a format. Brilliant, purely brilliant!

Thank you Hannah. it is one of the random thoughts, that i just put together and some might not even like the flavors together.. it worked for me and totally worked for hubbs :)

Could the green squash be a kabocha? It sounds pretty similar. Eating squash in burger form is such a great idea–especially with that amazing-sounding sriracha mayo!

5. Anonymous says

Your big dirty green with bumps squash may be a Hubbard. They are usually oblong with ridges rather than pumpkin shaped but I’ve grown some that were sort of pumpkin shaped. Some of them are really big. Treat it like you would any big squash. If it’s a Hubbard both the texture and the taste are like a cross between an acorn and a butternut, quite good.

6. Anonymous says

You know, in all fairness Richa, as a true skeptic I must run some trial tests first before handing out any props. I hope you understand. Because most of these delicious looking pictures on ads have what I call: “The Quiznos’ Syndrome.” Which means the picture is much better than the sandwich itself (also don’t look nearly as good)…lol. I’ll be back another time to give you my decision on this important matter.

Sure, I will be here waiting:) as for the quiznos and others syndrome.. they have a ton of money they throw at the design, marketing, photographing etc teams and the pictured food is not even necessarily food. This however went straight into my tummy after the photoshoot:) I hope you like this flavor profile:)

7. Anonymous says

Did this with acorn squash, it was epic! I cut the squash in half and stuck it in the oven for 40 minutes, worked great!

1. […] 28. Roasted Butternut Squash Slider – One way to turn a burger healthy is to get rid of the meat entirely. That’s the strategy here, with squash filling in for the beef patty. The goal now shifts to making it taste so good you don’t miss the meat. How do they do it? The carmelized onions on it add massive flavor, while the sriracha mayo adds some spice. Serve it on a gluten free bun and it’s gluten free. […]