Ack.. Cinco De mayo is coming up too soon. so lets make some Tacos!
These super easy Shredded Butternut Squash Tacos. Shred the squash or use a spiralizer to make noodles. Cook it up with Chipotle sauce or roasted pasilla chile or guajillo chile sauce. Serve it up on soft tacos with greens, red cabbage, jalapenos, salsa, cilantro and all the fix ins. The squash does not get all mushy and stays shredded. It takes 10+ minutes to go from crunchy to soft. Cook to preference for texture.
Add some black beans or chickpeas or corn to the butternut, add the squash to burritos or make skinny taquitos.
More Tacos and Mexican dishes.
Chickpea Cauliflower Tacos with lentil bean tortillas. GF
White Bean Quesadilla.
Nacho Mac Casserole
Refried Bean Pizza
Stuffed Avocados GF
Shred the Butternut or Spaghetti or other squash. Or use shredded jackfruit.
Add to a pan with oil and roast for 2 minutes. Add the sauce and spices and mix well.
Cook until tender. Prepare the toppings. Load up the Tortillas with greens, cabbage, squash, salsa, sour cream, avocado and more.
- ½ butternut squash, 3 loaded cups shredded
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- add ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp traditional Chipotle sauce or other roasted chile sauce (or use bbq + taco spice)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- generous dash of black pepper
- a generous dash of chipotle pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp water
- Corn chia Tortillas or these regular tortillas, or these gf lentil tortillas
- pickled Jalapenos
- pico de gallo
- red cabbage slaw or shredded cabbage (toss the cabbage in salt, pepper and lemon juice), add crunchy shredded veggies like carrot for added texture.
- avocado or guacamole
- vegan sour cream or vegan chipotle ranch
- lemon juice
- In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium heat.
- Add the squash and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Chipotle sauce, cumin, oregano, garlic, black pepper and chipotle pepper powder and water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the squash is tender. do not overcook or overstir. Stir 2-3 times in between.
- Layer greens and cabbage on the tortillas, add the squash, a drizzle of lemon juice, sour cream or chipotle ranch, guacamole, jalapenos and chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, soy, nut, gluten.
Makes 4-5 tacos
1/2 butternut squash, 3 loaded cups shredded
1/2 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp water
vegan sour cream or vegan chipotle ranch
In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium heat.
Add the squash and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
Add Chipotle sauce, cumin, oregano, garlic, black pepper and chipotle pepper powder and water. Mix well.
Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the squash is tender. do not overcook or overstir. Stir 2-3 times in between.
Layer greens and cabbage on the tortillas, add the squash, a drizzle of lemon juice, sour cream or chipotle ranch, guacamole, jalapenos and chopped cilantro. Serve warm.
For variations: Add black beans to the butternut after 10 minutes and cook for 3-4 minutes until the beans are hot. If using jackfruit, use canned. Drain, wash and flake it using hands to a shredded consistency. Cook for 20-30 minutes with the sauce and spices. Add more water if needed.
“I became a vegan the day I watched a video of a calf being born on a dairy farm. the baby was dragged away from his mother before he hit the ground. the helpless calf strained his head backwards to find his mother. the mother bolted after her son and exploded into a rage when the rancher slammed the gate on her. She wailed the saddest noise i’d ever heard an animal make, and then thrashed and dug into the ground, burying her face in the muddy placenta.” ~ james mcwilliams