These easy Naan calzones are great as a carry out lunch or a change from the usual pizza. The calzones are filled with spicy tofu and pea scramble, vegan cheese and sriracha. You can also make these into Naan Pizzas. Shape the dough into oval Naan flatbreads. Add a layer of marinara or pizza sauce, spread the scramble, vegan cheese, bake and serve.
The dough for Naan flatbreads always makes soft and puffy Naans. The key to the softest naan is a soft and somewhat sticky dough with enough moisture. Add less flour to begin with and add more if needed. It is easier to add more flour to a sticky dough and than to incorporate water into a stiff dough. The Naan dough is made into calzones with the nigella seeds on top for the naan flavor. The filling is a simple tofu and pea scramble spiced with spices and green chili.
For variation, use well cooked chickpeas or beans or tempeh for the scramble filling. For gluten-free Naan dough to use in the recipe, see my cookbook.
More fun recipes from the blog
- Smoky Asparagus Tofu Scramble. Spring Vegan Glutenfree…
- Vegan Shakshuka with Sweet Potatoes & Tofu
- Dal Baati – Pigeon Pea Soup with Stuffed Pastries.
- Hemp Tofu Scramble Breakfast Pizza topped with Hash Browns
Roll out the dough into a somewhat circle.
Place scramble and cheese on one half. Then fold and seal with a fork.
Spray water and sprinkle nigella seeds. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then bake.
Brush melted butter. Slice and serve with marinara.
- 1 recipe Naan dough.
- Tofu and Pea scramble:
- 1 tsp oil
- ⅓ to ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup red onion
- 1 hot green chili
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp mustard powder or garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp kala namak/Indian black salt for the eggy taste (optional)
- 1 medium tomato chopped small
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 14 oz pack firm Tofu, crumbled. I use Nasoya organic non gmo
- ⅓ cup green peas (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt (to taste)
- a very generous dash of black pepper
- lemon juice and cilantro for garnish
- Vegan cheese shreds
- nigella seeds and vegan butter as needed for the calzones
- Preprare the Naan dough and let it sit to rise for an hour.
- Tofu Pea Scramble:Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeeds and cook for a minute or until they change color. Add onions, chili and garlic and cook until just about translucent. 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices and mix well. Add tomato, water and nutritional yeast, mix and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tomatoes are saucy.
- Mash/crumble the tofu with hands or chop small and add to the pan. Add the peas. Mix well, cover and cook for 5 minutes. If the scramble begins to stick, deglaze with a Tbsp of water. I don’t press the Tofu before use, so usually there is enough moisture to prevent sticking.
- Taste and adjust salt and spice. Lower the heat to low-medium and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle black pepper, lemon juice and cilantro(optional) and keep aside to cool.
- Make Calzones: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Divide the dough into 7 to 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a circle.
- Place tofu and pea scramble on half the circle. Add vegan cheese shreds of choice. Drizzle a little bbq sauce or sriracha or mango chutney other sauce of choice (optional). Fold the other half over to form a half moon and seal with a fork. Shape all the calzones and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray water generously on the calzones. Sprinkle nigella seeds and press in.Let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes or until golden. Brush melted vegan butter and serve with marinara, mango chutney or other sauce/dip of choice.