And just like that it is 2016. It still hasn’t sunk in that 2015 is over and this is a brand new year. I am slowly pushing off the lazy days from the holidays and trying to get back to schedule. Many many things to plan for the next few months!
Starting off the year with this easy lentil salad sandwich that comes together really quickly if you have cooked lentils. The salad has falafel spices, parsley, cilantro and tahini. Make a sandwich or a wrap or serve in a bowl with roasted veggies. Greens, cucumbers, lemony tahini dressing make up the rest of the sandwich.
You can make the lentil mixture into a falafel. Use zest of half a lemon instead of juice, add breadcrumbs, mash and mix to make a dry mix. form flat balls and bake or pan fry. Serve over greens or lettuce, with pickles and the lemon tahini dressing. You can also use chickpeas, split peas or other cooked beans instead of lentils. Adjust the spice, salt and tang as the larger beans will need more. This recipe is oil-free if your tahini is oil-free.
Serve this as a sandwich, in a pita bread or wrap or taco or a bowl of greens and roasted veggies. If you haven’t tried lentils yet, this is the one to try this year. What is your favorite way to serve earthy lentils?
More lentil recipes from the blog
- African Peanut Lentil Soup GF
- Lentil split Pea Falafel Bowl.
- Spiced lentil soup – Sabut Masoor Dal. GF
- Lentil quinoa Loaf
Steps Pictures: Scroll below for full recipe.
Make the lentil salad, tahini dressing. Prep the other sandwich ingredients.
Layer greens, cucumbers or pickles and a generous layer of the lentil salad.
Spread the tahini dressing on the other slice, assemble and serve.
Serve as sandwich or make a wrap or serve in a bowl with roasted veggies.
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1.5 tbsp or more lemon or lime juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
- a dash of salt
- 1.5 cups cooked lentils (brown lentils or Indian brown lentils) , or use cooked chickpeas or split yellow peas for variation
- 1 tbsp lemon tahini dressing from above (or use 1 tbsp tahini)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cucumber or dlll pickle
- 1 clove of garlic minced (optional)
- 1 to 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup packed chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ green chili or jalapeno finely chopped, or use cayenne to taste
- ½ tsp ground cumin ( preferably ground roasted cumin)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- a very generous dash of cayenne and black pepper
- ⅓ to ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Multi-grain Sandwich Bread
- Cucumber or dill pickle
- Baby Greens or sprouts or choice
- Mix everything under lemon tahini dressing until it is a spreadable thick mixture. Taste and adjust tang and salt.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the lentil salad. Taste and adjust salt, lemon and spice. Mash some of the lentils. (If using chickpeas or other larger cooked beans/lentils, process half of the larger beans with the spices, tahini and lemon juice in a processor. Mix with the rest in a bowl. Mash more if needed.)
- To make the sandwich, lightly toast the bread (optional). Slather one slice generously with the lemon tahini dressing.
- On the other slice, layer greens, cucumber/pickle and the lentil salad. Add other layers of choice like roasted veggies or sprouts.
- Place the dressing slice on the sandwich, serve!
Read: These 9 myths about dairy. – including Cows need to be milked anyway (no they don’t), Organic milk doesn’t have hormones (it does), dairy cows get to live (all dairy cows are slaughtered) and more.
Watch: this 5 minute video about the dairy industry. Few quick graphic images.