Vegan Deep Dish Pizza Recipe. Easy Deep Dish Pizza with from scratch Crust, red pepper, spinach, vegan mozzarella and basil. Vegan Pizza Recipe with homemade 20 Minute Deep Dish Pizza Crust, almost no knead. Pin it for later.
Most recipes that end up on the blog usually start as simple meals and then evolve into the fusion or creative versions of themselves. There are various easy vegan pizzas or deep dish pizza recipes on the web, so sometimes the recipe in its simplest form is overlooked. But those simple recipes are the ones that we all turn back to often.
I posted this Black Eyed Pea Lasagna Deep dish pizza, and this Jalapeno Popper Mushroom White Sauce Deep dish long back. Since then I have been making a simple deep dish with pizza sauce, vegan mozzarella(make it at home with cashews or coconut milk, or use vegan brands), red pepper, greens, garlic, loads of herbs, a few ingredients and variations here and there. I made one again the other day and remembered to photograph and note it.
This super easy Deep dish Pizza is saucy, filled with simple ingredients. It comes together quickly and makes for a filling meal. You can fill the pizza with any veggies you like, sauteed mushrooms, sliced veggies, some spiced tempeh crumbles etc. Make a tall Vegan Deep Dish Pizza!
For a video of making and handling the dough to shape, see my basic veggie pizza recipe video. No kneading required! Want to make this gluten-free, try my GF Pizza crust. Shape the crust to slightly less tall, Bake the crust for 10 mins before adding the fillings. Make this Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza!
For more Pizza options, like 25+ Pizzas, and 10+ different crust options (gluten-free, yeast-free etc), see here. If you make any of my pizza recipes, do tag me on Instagram or elsewhere and let me know how things turned out!
Make the dough. Let it sit for 15-20 mins. Meanwhile, cook the red bell pepper spinach garlic filling mix.
Shape the dough in a tall cake pan. I usually use a bit of parchment on the bottom to make it easy to lift the pizza out. Leave the edges without parchment, so the dough can stick and stay upright on the edges.
Add vegan mozzarella.
Add pizza sauce
Add red bell pepper and garlicky greens. or fill it with any other fillings of choice.
More pizza sauce
basil and vegan mozzarella
Bake at 435 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Slice and serve!
- ½ a medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced or use roasted bell pepper
- 4 to 5 oz Spinach (baby spinach or chopped)
- a handful of chopped basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1.5 tsp active yeast
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1.5 to 2 cups flour (I use unbleached white)
- ¼ cup semolina flour (or use fine cornmeal)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Vegan Mozzarella shreds (homemade or vegan brands)
- about 14 oz Pizza sauce
- pepper flakes
- chopped basil
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add red bell pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in spinach, basil, thyme, salt, red pepper flakes and salt and mix in. Cook until spinach is wilted
- Mix warm water, yeast and sugar and let sit for a few minutes. Add 1.5 cups flour, salt, semolina flour and oil and mix well with a spoon. You can also add some garlic powder or dried herbs at this point. Add a tbsp or so more flour if needed and mix in. Gather the dough and knead for a few seconds to make a soft dough. Let the dough sit in a warm place for 15 minutes. See this video for mixing and shaping the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F.
- Spray oil on he dough, then take it out and make a somewhat smooth ball. Using some flour spread the dough on 8 or 9 inch pan with tall sides making sure to spread some of the dough above the edge. Keep the bottom thick enough else it might not support the heavy toppings. *
- Layer with vegan mozzarella, pizza sauce, red bell pepper and spinach mixture, other veggies if using. olives, pizza sauce, vegan mozzarella, some fresh basil and red pepper flakes.
- Bake at 435 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle some more fresh basil on the pizza. Let the pizza rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
Quick Pizza Sauce: Mix tomato puree, salt, pepper, olive oil, oregano, basil, garlic powder and onion powder. Thin with water if needed, mix and use.
In other news, California bans breeding and captivity of Orcas. CA Governor signed legislation that will outlaw orca breeding and captivity programs like the one formerly run by SeaWorld theme parks.
Dairy Cow herds are often killed off to keep the dairy prices high. “This state of affairs was revealed in a nationwide class-action lawsuit against dairy cooperatives. Lawyers from one of the premier U.S. plaintiffs’ firms alleged on behalf of American consumers that the cooperatives paid farmers to prematurely turn hundreds of thousands of cows into burgers in a sprawling scheme to prop up dairy prices. The defendants settled this week for $52 million.”