Tomato Garlic Coconut Mozzarella on 100% Whole Wheat crust Pizza. Add a layer of marinara and fresh basil! Vegan Pizza Recipe. Makes 1 Pizza
Vegan Pizza Month of food Post 4. All whole wheat crust, tomatoes. some roasted garlic and home made mozzarella!
A 100% wheat crust for Pizza day 4.. I think I might be able to pull of 20 different pizzas, but 20 crusts??.. hmm. lets see.
I have been trying out a couple of the non dairy cheeses. Trying my own twists per taste, texture and so on. I tried the Vegnews Cashew mozzarella, and did not like it. Chewie loved it. I added it to his lentil rice food (lentils, beans, brown rice, veggies mix) and he gets some of the cheese in each ice cube. Its good to have a fat food motivated fluffster.
I decided to give Erin’s coconut milk version a go. I was worried about the strong coconut taste, but the final cheese doesn’t taste like coconut at all! I can never find coconut vinegar, so i just subbed that out. I also eliminated the coconut oil and gum. I made some cheddar too with a mix and match of a couple of recipes, and the cheddar tastes so good. I am much more satisfied with the cheddar.
Till then, heres the – not your neighborhood margherita Pizza!
Add 1/2 cup wheat flour, gluten, salt and oil and knead for 2 minutes into a well mixed dough.
Spray top with water, cover with a towel and let sit for 1.5 -2 hours.
Place on parchment lined pizza stone or sheet.
Spray water on top of the dough and let sit for 10 minutes while you prep the veggies.
Spread some Evoo on the crust.
Place sliced tomatoes. Place sliced garlic on the crust and on the tomatoes.
Cool for a minute, slice, serve.
Mozzarella adapted from Erin’s Mozarella cubes
Tomato Garlic Coconut Mozzarella on 100% Whole Wheat crust Pizza. vegan recipe
- 1/3 cup (83.33 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon wheat gluten
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) salt
- 1 Tablespoon evoo extra virgin olive oil
- wheat flour for dusting
- 1-2 Tablespoons (1 Tablespoons) evoo
- 2 big fat tomatoes sliced
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) of garlic
- vegan Mozzarella sliced
- fresh finely chopped or dried basil and parsley I used dried basil and parsley
- salt and red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (226 ml) good quality full fat coconut milk canned
- 2 teaspoons agar powder china grass
- 1/3 teaspoon (0.33 teaspoon) salt
- a generous pinch of kala namak/black salt
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) lemon juice
- 3/4 Tablespoon (0.75 Tablespoon) Tapioca starch/flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or potato starch
- In a bowl, add warm water, sugar and yeast and mix well. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup wheat flour, gluten, salt and oil and knead for 2 minutes into a well mixed dough.
- Spray top with water, cover bowl with a towel and let sit for 1.5 hours
- Oil hands, use 2 Tablespoons of wheat flour and gather the dough.
- Knead for 2 minutes and form a ball.
- Roll the ball out into as thin a crust as you want using some flour on the surface if needed.
- Place on parchment lined pizza stone or sheet.
- Spray water on top of the dough and let sit for 10 minutes while you prep the veggies. Preheat the oven to 410 degrees F /210ºc.
- Spread some evoo or other oil on the crust.
- Place sliced tomatoes. Place sliced garlic on the crust and on the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt, red pepper flakes and generous amount of herbs.
- Top with mozzarella slices.
- Bake in preheated 410 degrees F / 210ºc for 13-14 minutes, then broil on low for half a minute.
- Keep all the ingredients measured and ready.
- Heat the coconut milk on low-medium heat until warm-hot. Add the agar powder and whisk continuously till it dissolves completely. 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add the vinegar, salts, lemon juice and keep whisking for a minute.
- Mix the starches in 1 Tbsp water and add, keep whisking for a few seconds until well combined. Remove from heat and pour in well oiled container.
- (You can add herbs, nutritional yeast and seasonings at this point. mix and let set)
- Let set in the refrigerator for atleast an hour.
- For the coins in the pictures: I substituted half the coconut milk with So delicious coconut creamer, since I was out of coconut milk. I
- The coconut creamer has artificial coloring hence the super white coins. The creamer also has gum, so the cheese was more elastic than the regular coconut milk cheese. Also, use coconut vinegar as Erin suggests.