Multi Grain Idli (steamed lentil and rice cakes). A healthy and delicious breakfast, lunch or snack. Vegan, Gluten Free and Oil Free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Multi Grain Idli (steamed lentil and rice cakes)
To be soaked:
- 1/2 cup (100 g) urad daal (split black gram daal)
- 1/2 cup (95 g) brown rice
- 1/2 cup (90 g) white rice (I used basmati.. typically should use parboiled rice)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) toor daal (split pigeon pea)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) chana daal (split Bengal gram)
- 2 teaspoons methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
To be added later:
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 dried red chili
- handful of methi leaves (fresh fenugreek leaves)
- salt to taste
- Soak all the to be soaked items overnight (12 hours) .. its quite cold here right now.. so i usually let it be for 12-16 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked lentils/grains along with ginger, dried red chili, washed fenugreek leaves and salt(1/2 teaspoon or more) with little water if needed.
- If this mixture doesnt look fermented enough, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, or keep for another 4-6 hours in a warm place.
- Grease Idli stand and mix and pour the batter.
- Steam the idlis for 20 mins and let stand for another 10 before removing from idli stand.
- Total time does not include 12-16 hours soaking time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving