Baingan Bharta, Sambhar, Roti and Papad (roasted mashed eggplant, pigeon pea curry, Indian Flat Bread and lentil chips). Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Thats a mouthful of names 🙂
Baingan Bharta, Sambhar, Roti and Papad (roasted mashed eggplant, pigeon pea curry, Indian Flat Bread and lentil chips). Vegan Recipe.
- 1/2 cup Toor Daal soaked for an hour (Pigeon Pea)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup green beans or baby eggplant chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sambhar powder (you can buy it at any indian store or make your own recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida powder (hing)
- salt to taste (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1/4 teaspoon tamarind concentrate.
- In a pressure cooker or a deep pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, urad dal,cumin seeds,dry red chillies,curry leaves and asafoetida powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, carrots, beans or eggplant, sauté for 5-7 minutes until the veggies are half done.
- Add in the salt, sugar, soaked and drained toor dal, sambhar powder, coriander powder, tamarind concentrate and 1.5 cups water (350ml).
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle or more(depends on how mashed you want the lentils). If cooking in a pan, cover and cook on low heat for 20 + minutes.
- Serve hot as side curry, topped with chopped cilantro, with Roti(Indian bread) and a dry veggie dish(subzi)!
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving