I decided to put up some sandwiches we made recently. The sandwich meals get prepared without much planning, are quick and also disappear rather quickly..:). Try keeping a hungry husband from a sizzling sandwich for some food photography! Hence the lack of pretty pictures!. Check out some sandwiches posted earlier .. Jamaican Jerk Tempeh topped with homemade Creamy Red Bell pepper Mayo and Cheesy Cajun Spiced Burger with Onions and Asparagus.
- Cut Tempeh into 1/4-1/2 inch strips.
- In a medium pan, (strips should fit in the pan without overlapping), add about a cup of water or vegetable stock, 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste, 1/2 teaspoon ginger+garlic paste and 3/4 teaspoon spice mix of choice( I used Cajun spice+onion powder+garlic powder+cayenne once And Garam masala+cumin powder+garlic powder+chili powder the other time) and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Mix well and drop tempeh slices in this broth. The slices should be well submerged and not over each other.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes. Turn the Tempeh around and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until all the broth is completely absorbed. At this point you can let the tempeh cook on the dry pan a little longer to get browned, or transfer to your sandwich.
- In another pan while the tempeh is cooking, heat a teaspoon of organic canola oil and grill some veggies and fruits on medium high heat.
- We cooked some onions till golden(2-3 minutes), asparagus(2-3 minutes), red or green bell pepper( 2-3 minutes), peach slices( a minute), watermelon( half a minute).
- In the same pan, you can quick pan fry some thinly sliced potatoes 2 minutes on each side and top them off with salt and pepper before serving!
- Lots of choices for sauces. Some Vegan mayo, or sriracha, some balsamic, lemon juice, vegan cheeses, organic baby greens, lettuce, basil, pesto, nutritional yeast, hummus, slaw or just about anything.:)
For more fun vegan sandwich ideas, check out Kathy’s Healthy Happy Life Sandwich collection here! I could probably just eat them sandwiches every day!