This spiced cabbage recipe is a spicy Indian recipe that is vegan and gluten free. Easy and quick to make, the whole family will love it! Jump to Recipe
Burnt Chili Spiced Cabbage and Potatoes. Patta Gobi Aloo Sabji. vegan glutenfree recipe
- 2 cups (140 g) cabbage finely chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil or mustard or sesame oil any high smoke point oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) brown mustard seeds
- 5-6 (5 ) curry leaves optional
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 dried red chilies broken into half
- 1 teaspoon good quality red chili powder/cayenne
- a generous pinch of asafoetida hing, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 1 Tablespoon of split lentils of choice urad dal-black gram, chana-bengal gram or petite yellow lentils (mung dal)
- 2/3 teaspoon (0.67 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium. Add mustard seeds when hot and mix for a few seconds. Add asofetida(hing), curry leaves, broken red chilies and chili powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- The chilis and power should start to turn dark. A good indication is that you will start to sneeze :). Use the exhaust.
- Add the lentils/daals, turmeric and coriander powder and 2 teaspoons of water. Mix and cook for 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and mix well to coat. Cook for a minute.
- Add cabbage and salt and mix well. Cook covered on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir once in between.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes to char the cabbage a bit(optional).
- For variations, add peas, chopped carrots, bell peppers, other veggies to the cabbage. Or change up the spices, use cumin seeds or fennel or just a little garam masala.
- Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro or coconut flakes, as a side with lentil Daal and Roti or Naan-Indian flat bread or Rice.