This spiced cabbage recipe is a spicy Indian recipe that is vegan and gluten free. Easy and quick to make, the whole family will love it! Jump to Recipe
This spiced cabbage recipe is a spicy Indian recipe that is vegan and gluten free. Easy and quick to make, the whole family will love it!
- 2 cups cabbage finely chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 2 teaspoons organic canola oil or mustard or sesame oil any high smoke point oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves optional
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 dried red chilies broken into half
- 1 teaspoon good quality red chili powder/cayenne
- a generous pinch of asafoetida hing, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Tablespoon of split lentils of choice urad dal-black gram, chana-bengal gram or petite yellow lentils (mung dal)
- 2/3 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a large pan, add oil and heat at medium. Add mustard seeds when hot and mix for a few seconds. Add asofetida(hing), curry leaves, broken red chilies and chili powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- The chilis and power should start to turn dark. A good indication is that you will start to sneeze :). Use the exhaust.
- Add the lentils/daals, turmeric and coriander powder and 2 teaspoons of water. Mix and cook for 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and mix well to coat. Cook for a minute.
- Add cabbage and salt and mix well. Cook covered on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir once in between.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes to char the cabbage a bit(optional).
- For variations, add peas, chopped carrots, bell peppers, other veggies to the cabbage. Or change up the spices, use cumin seeds or fennel or just a little garam masala.
- Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro or coconut flakes, as a side with lentil Daal and Roti or Naan-Indian flat bread or Rice.
Nutritional values are based on one serving