Vegan Spiced Apple Cake with Salted Caramel. Tried tested and loved. All whole grain made with spelt flour and drizzled with salted caramel or date caramel. Makes 1 8 inch cake pan
It is finally getting sunny in the Northwest and warm.. oh so nicely warm. I gave an ultimatum to hubbs to take time off his crazy work hours(most days I see him at 8 pm). There is only so many weeks of beautiful sunny and warm weather. Then it will get too hot and then it will get rainy again.. I think we should declare summer vacation in the Northwest for everyone. 🙂
I can never make pretty cakes with pretty frosting or icing. a- I am just not patient enough and good at the whole frosting/piping/icing process and b- no one in the house likes sweet frosting so even when I do make some, the cake or cupcake will be eaten just because it needs to be. Have you noticed the dearth of cupcakes on the blog:).
Yes, a very sweet chocolate frosting will be discarded too.
What are some of your favorite fruit cakes/quick breads?
More Cakes, Quick Breads, brownies here.
Mix flaxmeal in water and let sit for a few minutes. Add the spices, sugar, oil, coconut milk and combine.
Add dry ingredients and mix to combine into a batter.
Toss finely chopped Apples in Maple syrup, then add to batter and fold.
Drop batter into parchment lined cake pan.
Bake until done.
Drizzle with salted caramel or use any other favorite frosting/icing.
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup ground raw sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar I used apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Spelt flour , or use wheat flour (pastry flour preferable)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- a generous pinch of nutmeg
- a generous pinch of cardamom powder optional
- 1 Large Ripe apple chopped small 1/4 - 1/2 inch
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup
- Variations: Add chopped up walnuts/pecans some crystallized ginger.
- In a bowl, add warm water and flaxmeal. Mix and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, oil, coconut milk and whisk until sugar is well combined.
- Add vinegar and mix.
- In another bowl, mix the dry ingredients - spelt, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until well combined into a smooth batter.
- In a bowl, add chopped apples and maple syrup. Mix well to coat.
- Drop the apples into the batter. Fold to distribute well.
- Drop batter into parchment lined or well greased 8 inch cake pan.
Bake in pre-heated 365 degrees F / 180ºc for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick from the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
In a medium pan, mix the 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp maple syrup and 1/2 cup coconut cream. Cook until thickened.
Add sea salt, mix and take off heat as the mixtures comes to a boil.
(For Coconut cream, refrigerate a can a full-fat coconut milk for a few hours, then open the can and scoop out the thick cream on top)
To make this cake gluten-free: Mix 2/3 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup rice flour, 3 tbsp potato starch. whisk well. Use a cup of of mix and add more a tbsp at a time to make a thick batter.
Nutritional values based on 1 of 8 slices
I found this Info-graphic about what happens to Elephants in Circuses, especially Ringling Brothers. This also happens to all the other animals in the Circus. They are all uprooted from their natural surroundings, beaten, abused, starved to train and kept locked up almost all their life. It breaks my heart whenever I see a story about an elephant suffering in the name of entertainment.
Same is applicable to any animals or fish in any performance business/theme parks etc.