To balance out the sweet in the sauce, I tossed the Soba in Sriracha.. Doesnt that stuff make everything even more delicious:). This bowl can be made gluten-free with gf noodles/soba or serve with brown rice or quinoa. I used Buckwheat Soba which has wheat in it.
This is one quick weeknight meal. Add other things like Tofu or Seitan or blanched Veggies. The Teriyaki Sauce is refined oil-free and can be made ahead and drizzled on blanched or roasted veggies.
This was another super hit with hubbs. I added even more Sriracha to my noodles. Button mushrooms are growing on me now, but Shiitake need some work.
More asian meals from the blog. Banh Xeo crepes in a while or these Siu Mai dumplings!
For more One bowl meals see here.
Cook the Tempeh for 2-3 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook until tempeh and mushroom edges are golden.
Add the teriyaki sauce.
Cover and cook on low heat until the sauce is almost absorbed and starts to caramelize and bubble. Transfer the Tempeh and Mushrooms to the Soba bowl.
Add a Tablespoon or so water to the pan. mix and pour sauce over the noodles.
Look at all that delicious Sauce.
Top with Bean Sprouts, carrot or cucumber slivers.
Teriyaki Tempeh and Shiitake Mushrooms with Sriracha Soba. Vegan Recipe. Easily Glutenfree.
- 1/4 cup (58 ml) low sodium soy sauce/tamari/coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (59.15 g) ground raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) garlic powder or a teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) ginger powder or 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 4 oz (113.4 g) Tempeh thinly sliced or chopped small
- 1/2 cup (48 g) chopped mushrooms I used Shiitake
- 3-4 bundles of Buckwheat Soba cook according to instructions. (Or use other noodles, rice or quinoa)
- 2 teaspoon of Sriracha.
- Cook the Soba or other noodles according to instructions.(Cook in boiling water for 6-7 minutes). Drain, rinse in cold water, add Sriracha and toss/mix and keep ready.
- Teriyaki Tempeh and Mushrooms:
- In 2 teaspoons oil, cook the Tempeh over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to saute until tempeh is golden on the edges. 2-3 minutes.
- Blend all the ingredients of the Teriyaki sauce and add to the tempeh.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat until most of the sauce is absorbed by the Tempeh and the sauce gets bubbly and starts to caramelize.
- Transfer the Tempeh and mushrooms to the noodle bowl.
- Add a Tablespoon of water to the pan, mix and drizzle the remaining sticky sauce on the noodles.
- Top with mung bean sprouts, carrot slivers, cucumber slices etc. Serve hot.
If making just the sauce to drizzle over veggies later, then blend the ingredients and bring to a boil on low-medium.
Mix half a Tablespoon of cornstarch in a Tablespoon of water and add to the sauce. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. Nutritional values based on one serving
Vegan Mainstream did a survey for the top 5 reasons people go Vegan and here is what they found. Infographic via VeganMainStream.
What was your reason?