You know, we have been cooking for like 4 and then 6 people in the last month. So there is this adjustment period now, where I am trying to get back to cooking for 2. There is so much leftover food. 🙂
Ok, finally I got around to baking bread which does not fall in the category of everyday Sandwich loaf. 🙂 I made a Sandwich loaves twice a week last month, since Dad took a liking to them. I decided to eliminate processed flours from today’s bread. This focaccia is 100% stone ground organic whole grain Wheat and Spelt focaccia. Topped with juicy Cherry tomatoes and basil! Use fresh Basil for best results.
Knead up the dough, dimple it, add olive oil and toppings and done. One airy soft bread.
Another delicious Focaccia – this Quinoa Olive Focaccia with Za’atar.
For more Vegan yeast Breads, see here.
Glutenfree Zucchini Focaccia here and Focaccia style Pizza crust here.
Before I forget, thank you Buzzfeed for featuring my Chickpea Millet Chard Bake in How to eat more Veggies for breakfast round up. (of course, there are loads of eggs in the round up, but quite a few vegan and easily vegan options too!)
And also the Dal Hummus Pizza in Ways to eat Hummus all day long 😉
Here is a random fact about me. I actually do not eat hummus much, like maybe once in a few months. hmm, I wonder why. Maybe because there is always a other beany options available if I am eating Indian food.
Another random fact, I do not like deadlines. If there is a date or a time fixed for anything, like finishing up some recipe posts before a date, or hosting a large party, I get too antsy and my brain shuts down. All the creative energy goes on a vacation. No wonder I cannot plan an e-book. That will put a somewhat deadline and no recipes will come out of my head. hmmph.
In other news, what I would like to try next.. Kale-nola! Kale in granola.
And a wonderful guide to Fresh herbs and how to use them by Dreena.
Proof the yeast with maple syrup, molasses and yeast.
Knead into a soft dough.
Let it rise for 1.5 hours until doubled.
Punch down and press into the bread pan. Let rise for 20 minutes. Then poke holes into the dough.
Top with Olive oil, tomatoes, sea salt and basil.
Let rise for 20 minutes.
Bake in pre-heated 350 degrees F.
Cool, slice and serve with olive oil, hummus or favorite dips.
100% Whole Grain Tomato Basil Focaccia. Vegan Recipe
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/2 cup (60 g) spelt flour
- 3/4 cup (90 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) fine sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons (1 to 2 tablespoons) Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons (1 to 2 Tablespoons) Extra virgin Olive oil
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- finely chopped fresh basil or dried basil
- In a bowl, add warm water, yeast, maple syrup and molasses. Mix and let the yeast activate and and get frothy for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon or so more water or flour, if needed to make a soft to touch dough.
- Spray water on top, cover the bowl with a damp towel and Let the dough rise for 2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and shape to fill the pan. I used 9 by 5 inch pan. Push or stretch the dough into the pan.
- Spray water on top and let the dough rise for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Dimple the dough using fingers, Push all the way through the dough.
- Pour olive oil on the dimples. Top with fresh or dried basil and sea salt. then top with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Let rise for another 20-30 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F / 180ºc for 25 minutes.
- Or for a crisp crust, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F / 220ºc, then reduce temperature to 400 F / 200ºc and bake 20 minutes.
- Cool, slice and serve with olive oil. Serve as a side with pasta Or slice horizontally and make a Basil, Lettuce, Tomato, Balsamic grilled Tofu Sandwich