The shaved brussels in this pasta get caramelized with salt and pepper. The melty cheddar mixed in adds a great offset.
Non Dairy cheeses are such a hit or miss. Disclaimer here that I am no cheese connoisseur here. I hardly have had artisan cheeses before. Plus, my tastes are corrupted by a fair share of pizzeria cheeses from my non vegan school days. From the vegan cheeses on the market, I currently like Daiya pepperjack, Daiya Cheddar Slices, Kitehill Cassucio, and Teese mozzarella and thats about that. I haven’t tried treeline yet. I picked up some Follow your hear to try.
As several other people who compared non dairy cheeses have said before, with follow your heart it is more about the taste while daiya is more about the texture and meltyness. It takes a while for the fyh cheese to really melt. It however does taste good. Next in line to try out are the Mozzarella, fiesta blend and the sour cream! All Follow your heart product ingredients are gluten-free, vegan, non gmo, and most of the products are also soy-free. Cheddar is soy-free.
I made a pasta bake with cheddar and topped it with shaved brussels sprouts and baked till they caramelized a bit. Ziti is a bit too big pasta for the bake, Use smaller pasta or elbows for a mac n cheese bake! What are your current favorite vegan cheeses?
Grilled cheddar cheese below.
More pasta recipes from the blog
Quinoa shell pasta with jalapeno garlic white sauce.
Fusilli with mushrooms and spinach
Nacho Mac and cheese casserole.
Brussels Sprouts are one of those weird veggies that I have to figure out ways in which to cook. Else I never touch them. For some reason Hubbs keeps getting them to challenge me in the kitchen 🙂 The shaved brussels in this pasta get caramelized with salt and pepper. The melty cheddar mixed in adds a great offset. I am not sure if I like them yet. So if you fall under the same category as me, use only cheddar to top the pasta and bake.
Layer the pasta, sauce and shredded Brussels sprouts.
Bake, and serve hot.
- 6 oz pasta cooked according to instructions
- 1/2 cup white beans or 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1.5 to 2 cups almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp flour omit to make gf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or garlic paste
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb blend
- 2 tsp tamari or liquid aminos
- 1/2 medium tomato
- 3/4 cup follow your heart cheddar shreds or use my coconut milk cheddar or my Cauliflower Cheddar
- 1 to 1.5 cups shredded/shaved Brussels sprouts I used raw, you can also lightly steam them and use
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup follow your heart cheddar shreds
- Cook the Ziti or Elbows or other smaller pasta al-dente, according to instructions. Add to a greased baking pan.
- Make the sauce: In a blender, add all the sauce ingredients. Blend, taste and adjust salt, spice. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss.
- Make the Brussels sprouts topping: Mix the salt, pepper, oil in the shredded brussels sprouts. Mix well by tossing and rubbing in. Mix in the cheddar.
- Distribute the over the pasta. Spray oil on top.
Bake at preheated 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 30-35 mins. For more crisper brussels sprouts. broil for a minute.
- If not sure about Brussels Sprouts, sprinkle cheddar on the pasta and bake for 25 mins or until bubbly.
nutritional values based on one serving