These roasted chickpeas are an addictive snack to munch on. Everyone loves crunchy baked chickpeas. These chickpeas have garam masala, dry mango powder and other spices and chickpea flour and rice flour. The flours added to the chickpeas ensure that the spices and oil stick to the chickpeas. The result is a perfectly crispy snack. The chickpeas can also be served as a small salad, with chopped onion and tomato, cilantro, and a good dash of lemon juice.
Bake the chickpeas longer for a crispier, crunchier result. Bake a minute or so less for a softer inside. Use other spices of choice! Perfect solution to use up all those cooked chickpeas leftover after all the aquafaba experimentation!
This recipe is from the Bonus Recipe Bundle. If you bought my cookbook, you get the bonus Recipe bundle for free! Just email me a copy of the shipping receipt or a picture of the received book at veganricha @ gmail 🙂 , before July 15, 2015
More Chickpea recipes
- Moroccan Chickpea Cauliflower Bowl with Herb sauce.
- Curried Chickpea Rice Pulao – One Pot Pilaf
- Chickpea Sundal – Spiced Chickpea Coconut Salad. Vegan
- Chickpea Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Smoky Tomato Sauce
- 30 oz canned chickpeas or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder amchur or chaat masala, or use 1/4 teaspoon kala namak
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice flour
Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220ºc.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas if using canned. Remove excess skin if needed.
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl. Add all the spices and mix well. Add less salt if the cooked/canned chickpeas were salted. Add the oil and mix well to coat.
- Dust the chickpeas with the chickpea flour and rice flour, and mix to distribute evenly. Spray oil or water to help the flours stick if needed. Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes. Spray oil on the chickpeas, move them around with a long spatula (move the inner chickpeas out), and turn the tray around. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the chickpeas are crisp. If the chickpeas start to brown too quickly, reduce the temperature to 350° F / 180ºc and bake until crisp. Move the chickpeas around every 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing. Add a dash of chaat masala or salt if needed, toss and serve.
Notes: Bake the chickpeas longer for a crispier, crunchier result. Bake a minute or so less for a softer inside. Use other spices of choice.I often make these with just salt, chaat masala and cayenne.
To make Crisp Chickpea Chaat: Toss the roasted chickpeas with chopped red onion, tomato, cilantro and chutneys of choice such as mint cilantro chutney or tamarind date chutney. Serve.
Nutritional values based on one serving